Baked Beans...

2»

Comments

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    freehub wrote:
    If my diet was as bad as people made out (blah, blah), then I would be a pro racer by now....

Screw me side-ways, i think you know the answer then.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Well no, I'd be living in cookoo land if I thought I'd be a pro racer right now just by changing my diet.

My diet is not perfect, but it's not shite. If someone gives me a nutritionist and buys me my food or makes me a millionaire then I'll totally scrap how I eat.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp

Stop shopping at Aldi you furkin dirt bag, open your eyes to the world and perhaps you can answer your own questions occasionally without the entire internet community thinking your a fuckwit.

All of your meals contain processed foods, your diet is NOT healthy, just better than MaccyD's.
  • freehub
    It's staying processed then cause it ain't gonna get cheaper trying to eat the perfect diet.
  • s1lko
    s1lko Posts: 39
    Google 'macronutrients' - you need 'em. What about EFAs?

If it's cheap protein you want, try turkey, tuna or cottage cheese. I've been bodybuilding for a couple of years and I sure as hell do not, and would not, get my protein from baked beans.

But then I get the feeling, no matter what advice you're given here, you'll just do your own thing anyway.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Go scrumping, or allotment raiding! :twisted:
  • This thread could only happen in England. Pure comedy.

I appreciate your plight mate, not easy being at uni and having a tight budget, I sure as hell know what that's like. I think you're almost a messiah for being a student and not chewing on cancer sticks and getting sh*tfaced all the time. Good on ya!

At the same time as defending you from the unnecessary bashing you've received here, I'd agree with some of the comments. Variety is everything, and eating loads of that stuff, even if it's Heinz, won't leave you nutritionally balanced.

If you don't already eat these, potatoes (the ones you boil), carrots, wholewheat rice and pasta, couscous. All tasty, varied and cheap.

Best of luck!
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    mroli wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    We didn't have a microwave at college, I used to just eat em cold outa the tin.
    Eating crap beans cold out of a tin is the sort of thing that you do if you are trapped underground.

That is funny! :lol:
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Moontrane wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    We didn't have a microwave at college, I used to just eat em cold outa the tin.
    Eating crap beans cold out of a tin is the sort of thing that you do if you are trapped underground.

That is funny! :lol:

so when the charity organisations ask us to donate for those unfortunate chilean miners, just chuck a few cans of heinz/hp in the bag :wink:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I make a lot of stews, tatties and carrots are cheap, as are most veg off the market. I do eat some processed stuff, mostly the Eat Smart produce from Morrisons. Tend to eat a lot of porridge and admittedly I love Rice Crispies - Morrison's own brand is fine and the porridge is cheap and cheerful, just as good as a major name.

It can be hard on a budget, just have to stay away from places like Sainsburys and M&S; get to the markets!
  • freehub
    This thread could only happen in England. Pure comedy.

I appreciate your plight mate, not easy being at uni and having a tight budget, I sure as hell know what that's like. I think you're almost a messiah for being a student and not chewing on cancer sticks and getting sh*tfaced all the time. Good on ya!

At the same time as defending you from the unnecessary bashing you've received here, I'd agree with some of the comments. Variety is everything, and eating loads of that stuff, even if it's Heinz, won't leave you nutritionally balanced.

If you don't already eat these, potatoes (the ones you boil), carrots, wholewheat rice and pasta, couscous. All tasty, varied and cheap.

Best of luck!

I tried wholewheat rice, but I just could not eat the stuff, does not taste very nice and it's all chewy compared to normal rice. The pasta is more expensive than normal pasta.

The potatoes I use can't be bad surely, they're the ones you chop up and boil to make mash, but can make jacket potatoes too. :s

I've got a large appetite aswell which just raises the cost, if I made a meal for 4 people I'd probably need 2 portions of it, just raises the cost.
    Bunneh wrote:
    I make a lot of stews, tatties and carrots are cheap, as are most veg off the market. I do eat some processed stuff, mostly the Eat Smart produce from Morrisons. Tend to eat a lot of porridge and admittedly I love Rice Crispies - Morrison's own brand is fine and the porridge is cheap and cheerful, just as good as a major name.

It can be hard on a budget, just have to stay away from places like Sainsburys and M&S; get to the markets!

I buy the 50p bags of oats from tesco, last quite a while, but they don't taste nice when mixed with water as recommended so I need to use milk.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Will, I worked from the age of 13 to give me spending money (I planned to go to as many restaurants as possible asking if they needed a washer-upper. The first place I went to gave me a job.)
    I worked all through 6th form and university too.
    It helped in later life too.

You need to get a job, then you can get proper food, buy decent bike stuff and improve your future prospects.

Who knows, you may even get to go cup a feel of upstairs inside with a girl you work with!
  • Napoleon D, THAT is forward thinking...!! Now are you drawing from your own experiences? If so, are you saying that you were copping a feel at the age of 13...?? Man, it took me another 4 years to get that far... ;-)

As for you freehub, I'm fresh outta ideas then, I do appreciate your quandry...but if I think of any more appropriate foodstuffs, I'll let you know...!!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    You can't have it both ways. You can't pay the absolute minimum and get GOOD nutrition. Healthy food costs a little more. You can certainly pay the absolute minimum and get enough cheap food to live off - but you won't be optimizing your potential.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Will, supermarkets are not your friend. You use them selectively, searching out bargains/reductions where convenient. Waitrose had Greek yogurt at £1.49 last wek - i normally sells for >£2.20. They had good bread reduced from over £1 to 39p. You need to go to markets and asian shops. We go to Bolton market where 4 aubergines are £1 and 3 x ssweetcorn are 90p. A box of honey mangoes sells for £4.29 (6 in a box). These are the best mango. tesco etc will sell you ordinary ones for £2 each. The market does fish eg 3 x seabass or trout for a £5. That's £1.60 each if you have one for a meal.
    Baked beans are not wonder food - it's made by Heinz and is just a snack food. Aldi do regular fruit and veg in a 'super six'deal where peppers can be 69p a bag (2 bags £1 at Bolton). You need vegetables and proteins and prob. less carbs. Proteins fill you more quicly and are essential for muscle growth/replenishment
    M.Rushton
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Stop spending money on computers and bikes, and spend more on food!

Consider heathly food as an essential, not a luxury!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stop spending money on computers and bikes, and spend more on food!

Consider heathly food as an essential, not a luxury!

Wot he sed.

Plus, get a job.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    +1 for the markets, when I was at Bolton I.H.E. I used the market there regularly, the best times I found was when the market was shutting down and you could buy cheaper, also days when the supermarkets had their stock takes, it used to be Monday at Morrisons in Bolton. Use them for bargains, failing that get an allotment, put a few eel lines out down at the canal and wood pigeon makes a good meal, not enough on a feral one.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Tons of bananas and huge tubs of yoghurt are good, if you know anyone who's got them! :lol::lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    The thing I like about baked beans is that I can put a tin of the orange lovlies in the slow cooker. Switch it on, do an 8hr shift & as soon as I get home they're done. I just have to wait for the toaster to pop & bingo.

What about "Webster's Savoury Tights"...come in 3 nutritious flavours, Pork Pie, Butterscotch & Cockerel.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    andy162 wrote:
    The thing I like about baked beans is that I can put a tin of the orange lovlies in the slow cooker. Switch it on, do an 8hr shift & as soon as I get home they're done. I just have to wait for the toaster to pop & bingo.

What about "Webster's Savoury Tights"...come in 3 nutritious flavours, Pork Pie, Butterscotch & Cockerel.

:shock: :shock:

Feck me - you cook your baked beans for 8 hours? You must have one hell of an electric bill.

Mine take 2 mins on the stove and less in the microwave. Usually done before my shoes are off - let alone the amount of time it takes to make the toast. :roll:
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Right, Will, normally I stick up for you but now your pushing it.....

You take an xbox360 controler to college so you can do 150 miles on your laptop!?!?!?!? WTF are you on about....am i missing out on something here or did you just mention that to provoke this exact response?

I take it your £1500 doesn't include rent otherwise you must have a fantastic deal. As for where your getting this money.....if its student loans you've obviously messed up as they are underpaying you as £1500 is more what they pay to part time students - unless you are part time then go get a proper job £1500 a year is only about 25 hours a month on minimum wage.....thats just under 6 hours a week! Don't complain about money if your not going to work for it. If you have a reason you cant work then get on benefits