Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Baked Beans...

freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
It has come to my attention that Bakes Beans are very high in protein, are uber cheap, and good for you. The bad things are the salt and suger in a tin. I love Bakes Beans due to their uber cheapness of 27p a can, I cycled to college with my bag with my laptop in, Bakes Beans, BBQ Sauce, Spoon and Tin opener, and of course XBOX360 controller.

Each can has 22g of protein, and if it was not for the salt and sugar in them, I'd be eating like 5 cans a day cause they're so nice.

Can I get the type of beans that are in these tins from like Heinz, and other makes in Aldi and then make me own sauce in big enough quantities that I am not going too much over the equivilant cost of going and buying a tin?

Thanks.
«1

Posts

  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Why do you take a 360 controller to college?
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    To play games, what else :s, in my lunch brake I do about 150 miles on the Laptop, 70 of I don't go over the speed limit.

    Anyway enough on that back to the Baked Beans... I need an answer.................!
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    Heinz do a reduced salt and sugar version of the beans. Can't taste the difference.
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    Pokerface wrote:
    Heinz do a reduced salt and sugar version of the beans. Can't taste the difference.


    They cost more tho.
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    freehub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Heinz do a reduced salt and sugar version of the beans. Can't taste the difference.


    They cost more tho.


    Not THAT much more! Buy the 4-pack.
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    I shop at Tesco Metro and they're like 15p more. And Heinz are much more than the brands I buy in Aldi that are 27p a can, actually, it may be 23p a can, yes, 23p a can! It's awesome cause 2 cans would give me 44g of protein and be a nice filling meal with some cheese on top and some Marmite mixed in.
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    I would think that no matter how many cans of baked beans a day you eat, it still has to be better for you than your diet of Mars Bars.


    I also can't believe that the extra 15p a can it costs for the healthier version is going to break the bank.
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    In the past 4 months I've ate about 2 Mars Bars.

    And extra 15p comes to like £2.25. On top of already expensive beans. Like 45p a can those Heinz are.
  • Haricot beans + tomato-based sauce+whatever meat you fancy to go in there. Better, find a recipe for cassoulet. If you want BBQ sauce mix it in to taste. Freeze in portions. Pop into microwave at college. Dead cheap and no need to carry BBQ sauce or tin opener. There you are, lighter on the bike and a wind-assisted return journey....
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    We didn't have a microwave at college, I used to just eat em cold outa the tin.
  • freehub wrote:
    We didn't have a microwave at college, I used to just eat em cold outa the tin.

    So defrost first...
  • mrolimroli Posts: 3,622
    freehub wrote:
    We didn't have a microwave at college, I used to just eat em cold outa the tin.
    Mate - without coming over all masterchef on you, eating good food is one of the great joys in life. Eating censored beans cold out of a tin is the sort of thing that you do if you are trapped underground. And it will be detrimental to your health in the long run. Eat properly and learn to cook you nutter. It'll also help with the ladies.
  • mrolimroli Posts: 3,622
    freehub wrote:
    We didn't have a microwave at college, I used to just eat em cold outa the tin.
    Mate - without coming over all masterchef on you, eating good food is one of the great joys in life. Eating censored beans cold out of a tin is the sort of thing that you do if you are trapped underground. And it will be detrimental to your health in the long run. Eat properly and learn to cook you nutter. It'll also help with the ladies.
  • unixnerdunixnerd Posts: 2,864
    +1
    Haricot beans + tomato-based sauce+whatever meat you fancy to go in there.

    My wife made home made baked beans once and they were awesome.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    mroli wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    We didn't have a microwave at college, I used to just eat em cold outa the tin.
    Mate - without coming over all masterchef on you, eating good food is one of the great joys in life. Eating censored beans cold out of a tin is the sort of thing that you do if you are trapped underground. And it will be detrimental to your health in the long run. Eat properly and learn to cook you nutter. It'll also help with the ladies.

    How is baked beans detrimental to my health? I've gone through college living on my own in Mcr for 2 years and my health has only got better.
  • holmeboyholmeboy Posts: 674
    What about those Heinz beans in a plastic tub? Peel the top and put in the microwave for 1 minute. Won't be as much salt in them Wull there?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    freehub wrote:

    How is baked beans detrimental to my health? I've gone through college living on my own in Mcr for 2 years and my health has only got better.

    Yet in another thread you are complaining about being over trained and lacking energy?
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    freehub wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    We didn't have a microwave at college, I used to just eat em cold outa the tin.
    Mate - without coming over all masterchef on you, eating good food is one of the great joys in life. Eating censored beans cold out of a tin is the sort of thing that you do if you are trapped underground. And it will be detrimental to your health in the long run. Eat properly and learn to cook you nutter. It'll also help with the ladies.

    How is baked beans detrimental to my health? I've gone through college living on my own in Mcr for 2 years and my health has only got better.

    Correlation does not imply Causation
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • brinbrin Posts: 1,122
    Ha, Baked Beans..............Blazing Saddles, camp fire, hungry cowboys.......

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6 ... re=related
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    napoleond wrote:
    freehub wrote:

    How is baked beans detrimental to my health? I've gone through college living on my own in Mcr for 2 years and my health has only got better.

    Yet in another thread you are complaining about being over trained and lacking energy?

    You've just made that up.
  • fast as fuppfast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    freehub wrote:
    We didn't have a microwave at college, I used to just eat em cold outa the tin.

    meff
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    freehub wrote:
    napoleond wrote:
    freehub wrote:

    How is baked beans detrimental to my health? I've gone through college living on my own in Mcr for 2 years and my health has only got better.

    Yet in another thread you are complaining about being over trained and lacking energy?

    You've just made that up.


    What is this thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12723036 all about?
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    Pokerface wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    napoleond wrote:
    freehub wrote:

    How is baked beans detrimental to my health? I've gone through college living on my own in Mcr for 2 years and my health has only got better.

    Yet in another thread you are complaining about being over trained and lacking energy?

    You've just made that up.


    What is this thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12723036 all about?

    Not about Baked Beans that's for bloody sure.
  • EKIMIKEEKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    It'd be cheaper to buy the tins of baked beans, wash off/out all the sauce and then put your own on rather than buying tins of haricot beans (generally more expensive) unless Aldi do tins of haricot beans.

    TBH the amount of sugar and salt and censored in BBQ sauce, you may as well stick with normal baked beans...
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    It'd be cheaper to buy the tins of baked beans, wash off/out all the sauce and then put your own on rather than buying tins of haricot beans (generally more expensive) unless Aldi do tins of haricot beans.

    Will is like best mates with Bhima like, so I reckon that Bhima could like lead Will to a source of bulk haricot beans like.
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • AidanRAidanR Posts: 1,142
    freehub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    napoleond wrote:
    freehub wrote:

    How is baked beans detrimental to my health? I've gone through college living on my own in Mcr for 2 years and my health has only got better.

    Yet in another thread you are complaining about being over trained and lacking energy?

    You've just made that up.


    What is this thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12723036 all about?

    Not about Baked Beans that's for bloody sure.

    Not necessarily. I appreciate the need to eat cheaply, but having a varied diet that's not out of a tin will aid recovery. Eating lots of the same, cheaply made censored just because it has the right numbers written on the outside is likely to lead to poor nutrition, poor recovery and therefore the symptoms of overtraining.

    Learn to cook, it's a great life skill.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • EKIMIKEEKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    It'd be cheaper to buy the tins of baked beans, wash off/out all the sauce and then put your own on rather than buying tins of haricot beans (generally more expensive) unless Aldi do tins of haricot beans.

    Will is like best mates with Bhima like, so I reckon that Bhima could like lead Will to a source of bulk haricot beans like.

    :lol:

    In all seriousness though (yeh right!) bulk sources of Haricot beans are unlikely to be pre-cooked. Tin cans come as 100g units. Will can get baked beans, ready to eat at 27p/100g.

    Even if he can get bulk un-cooked Haricot beans at slightly less than 27p/100g, he still has to cook them (money on gas or electricity) and time. Plus the need to add some flavour. This would probably end up more expensive than 27p/100g. If will can create more effective economies of scale than Heinz or Aldi then crack on.

    If he simply drains the baked beans then he'll probably still get some flavour (the beans will have been 'marinated' haha) but without all this toxic sauce that everyone is sh1tting their pants about... well you actually would if you were eating like 5 tins a day.
  • freehub wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    We didn't have a microwave at college, I used to just eat em cold outa the tin.
    Mate - without coming over all masterchef on you, eating good food is one of the great joys in life. Eating censored beans cold out of a tin is the sort of thing that you do if you are trapped underground. And it will be detrimental to your health in the long run. Eat properly and learn to cook you nutter. It'll also help with the ladies.

    How is baked beans detrimental to my health? I've gone through college living on my own in Mcr for 2 years and my health has only got better.
    i honestly am worried for you now.. how bad must your health of been before you made this statement, livin it up abit mate! eating the same food all the time isnt good for your health you need to excite those things you call tastebuds every so often! :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    Lol, I am not unhealthy.... If my diet was as bad as people made out (and a better diet contributing to recovery and performance), then I would be a pro racer by now if that was correct..

    I eat plenty of diffo stuff.

    I eat reduced fat/salt corned beef sarnies
    I eat beans and omelette
    I eat beans and jacket potatoe
    I eat pasta, I eat bolognaise or w/e
    I eat pasta bakes
    I use vegetables and tinned chopped tomatoes (because I aint chopping tomatoes and making em like that) and tomatoe purae and make various nice tasting things.
    I eat fruit
    I drink milk
    I drink decaf coffe/tea and herbal teas.
    I rarely drink alcohol
    I don't smoke
    I eat plenty of other stuff

    I am not unhealthy.
    I know a guy who's done under 20min for a 10mile tt and I bet he ain't on a perfect diet.

    If I was proper unhealthy I'd be a shite cyclist, I would be slow. I'm improving apart from the blips.

    To change my eating habbits I'd either have to be gordom ramsey or spend more. Since I only have £1500 to live off from September to July it's not easy, especially when I ain't just spending it on food.
Sign In or Register to comment.