Ragley Mmmbop Custom build or off the shelf??

chris_mk
chris_mk Posts: 72
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I Currently ride a specialized pitch but also want to grap myself a nice hardtail for general XC use. Ideally I would love to build up my own bike but am limited to a budget of £800.00. With 2010 bikes now being discounted my budget is enough for a decent spec off the shelf bike. Chainreaction currently have the mmbop frame for £150 which would leave me £650 for the rest of the build. Do you think that is enough to build up a decentish spec with and if so does anybody have any ideas and suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, i think you could squeeze that in!

Merlin do great groupset and wheel deals, though you might have to settle for a standard quick release wheel and fork.

Full SLX and wheels for 400 quid:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... s_2559.htm

Or Deore for 300 quid.

Rockshox Tora 318 @ £155:

http://www.cyclebasket.com/products.php ... 1677&rs=gb

That leaves 100 or 200 to finsih the build of. Exotic do good parts from Carbon cycles.
  • What I'd do if I were you is throw a plan together and work out what you want to spend on EVERYTHING and see if it's possible.

CRC
    Wooly Hat shop
    Merlin
    On-one
    Superstar components

All good places to look for bargains if you're looking for new stuff.

Check on the classifieds here too, people often get rid of stuff hardly used at good prices.
  • chris_mk
    chris_mk Posts: 72
    Thanks for the replies so far, would prefer to build my own, much more fun.
    Will check out some of the sugestions and post back with my findings!!

cheers guys
  • I was in a similar situation and opted for the self-build. Although it may end up being a self half build after I buy all the required parts and can't fit them- don't forget you may need to buy some tools for certain tasks.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Or build as much as you can and get the LBS to finish and torque up for £25.
  • So after much thought I have taken the plunge and decided to build myself a hardtail. So today I have ordered the frame, Full SLX groupset, and after looking at a few options a Tora 318 fork :lol:

Need to decide now on Bars,Stem, Headset etc etc etc whilst waiting for it all to turn up.

Big thanks for the advice and to Supersonic for posting up the links which no doubt has saved me a load of money.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Have a look at the Onone sale for bars and stuff, they had FSA Gravity Lite bars for £15.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • All the parts have now been ordered :D

Thanks again for everyones help, cant wait to build it up spec as follows:

Mmmbop 18" in blue
    Tora 318 Forks
    Superstar components Grand Bambino Headset in blue
    Race Face Ride XC 60mm stem
    Race Face Ride XC Bars
    Race Face Ride XC seatpost
    Superstar Lockon grips - white with black lock rings
    Ragley Saddle - white/blue
    Full SLX Groupset
    Shimano MT15 Wheels
    Maxis High Rollers x2 26x2.1
    2 x tubes
    Q/R seatpost clamp
    pack of headset spacers
    B/B tool
    cassette tool

All together came in at £895.00 so a little over budget but I think I've made the right decision, roll on next weekend :D