What differentiates clipless pedals and what to look out for

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 737
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
hi - I read that the first upgrade to my bike should be to move to clipless pedals (SPD type). I noticed that there is a large number of such pedals across a very wide range of prices.

I can see that one obvious differentiator in the pedals is the ones that you can only use if you have cleats and the ones that can support normal flat shoes AND shoes with cleats. The latter seem much more flexible so why would anyone go for a pedal that can only support cleated shoes?

What else differentiates pedals thereby resulting in a such a wide range of prices?

I'm mainly asking so i know what to look for when i do buy pedals and shoes.

Cheers,
Dub
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• It's hard to go wrong with a set of SPD shoes, i've tried ones from all across the price range, and they've all done their job properly with no problems. Most of the difference will come in the float of the pedal, or how hard it is to get your foot out and with the amount of adjustment that you can have with that.

I only use full spd pedals, not the hybrid ones where you can use as flats as well. I only ride my MTB to the trails, on the trails and back, so have no need for the flats. I also find it extremely hard and annoying to have to flip the pedal around to get to the SPD side when I take a break while climbing or on an aggresive trail. That makes all the difference between efficiency and having problems getting started on a climb.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Hi Dub :D
    Dubcat wrote:
    I can see that one obvious differentiator in the pedals is the ones that you can only use if you have cleats and the ones that can support normal flat shoes AND shoes with cleats.
    From what i understand, these clipless pedals only have platforms to support the feet a bit more whilst clipped in, and aren't much good with flat soled shoes as the mechanism is raised a bit above the platform, making them a bit unstable in normal shoes.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    Torres ah ok mate. Cheers for that.

I think I will stick with my 'normal' pedals for now and move to spd next time sales come round.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito