new hydraulic brakes(upgrade)

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
hey guys.looking to buy(upgrade my m575 hydr brakes to SLX m665 hydr brakes or maybe the deore m595's.i have CL 160mm rotors on my bike that dont look to bad would i be ok keeping my old rotors or should i pay the extra and get new rotors too??if i can save a few sheckles by keeping my old rotors on that would be grand.its about 40quid difference with or without the cl rotors,cheers guys
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    save your 40 bucks and reuse rotors.
    then blow said savings on more parts. :wink:
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    edited August 2010
    No point changing rotors unless you want something bigger. Save the money.
  • hainman
    cheers guys,will my adapters from my old brakes not work on the slx calipers??so do i go slx at 130quid or deore at 100quid??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • biff55
    adaptors will work the same.
    i'd go slx for the extra 30 , levers have the servo wave boost from what i recall.
    prob a bit lighter too.
  • hainman
    nice one mate cheers,hope i dont have to cut any hoses though,that could lead to some squidgy brakes.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • pvtpile
    pvtpile Posts: 74
    you can get XT brakes here http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bm ... HIMDIBK260

£132 without rotors
  • hainman
    cheers mate great find,i noticed the hoses are only 1000mm long,thats to long for the front and way too short for the rear.why do they sell them so short and long??the money i save it'll prob cost me in a lbs to get them ammended.any thoughts on what to do??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • biff55
    learn to bleed the brakes yourself.
    its relatively straight forward for shimano.
    loads of "how to" vids on youtube.
    they always supply ready made brake kits with the hoses too long , some folk need 1000mm long at the front due to double crown forks etc.
  • hainman
    Cheers buff.I've been told to just buy a syringe and some window wiper pipe and some mineral.oil.I'm gona order the XTs tomorrow itsa belter of a deal I think.its the same price as the deore 595s so better. brake for same dosh is a no. brainer
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I thought 595's are more powerful than XT's

Probably wrong though
  • hainman
    you could be right mate.never used either of them but going by price i thought the spec was DEORE then SLX then XT then XTR.was thinking that i was getting better brake for same money..need to do some research
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • biff55
    hainman wrote:
    you could be right mate.never used either of them but going by price i thought the spec was DEORE then SLX then XT then XTR.was thinking that i was getting better brake for same money..need to do some research

4 piston saints p*sses on all of them.
    which is what i have on the front. 8)
  • hainman
    they would be well out of my price range but ye they look the dugs baws mate.but think the xts look good but so do the slx's and the deores.they all look the same kinda but be aswell getting the best available for ma dosh.
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie