Workshop tool kit - essentials

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited August 2010 in Workshop
Hi All,

I've just bought an old Peugeot 5 speed, steel framed bike as a runaround but I want to renovate it a bit. The derailleur still works, as do the brakes, though the brake pads are perished. I've replaced the perished tyres. There's some rust on the steel, most of which looks like it will come off with some sanding. The frame also has some rust - I guess that's going to stay!

My question is, what tools do I need to do the basic work? So far I have very little:

Multi tool with Allen keys
Hexagonal spanner
Pump
Cassette cleaning brush
A couple of screwdrivers
Penknife
Oil
WD40
Chain cleaner and lube

I'm guessing I'll also need:

Chain tool
Spanners

What else? Is it worth getting tools to remove the pedals and cranks to regrease the BB bearings? Servicing bikes is very expensive here but I don't want to spend money on something I'll only use a couple of times. I also have the mechanical skills of a pot plant.

Recommendations of particular tools/brands greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• stokey1964
    stokey1964 Posts: 454
    A Crank removal tool is invaluable and fairly cheap.

A pedal spanner is a must as a normal one is too wide to fit.

For me the best buy was a pair of cable cutters for the brake and gear cables.

Simon
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I find invaluable

Allen keys (most used)
    Set of spanners and socket wrench, for pedals and BB removal (quite large size on BB tool)
    Wire cutters for inners, pliers to pull whilst tightening
    Crosshead screwdriver
    Dry and wet lube
    White spirit and chain cleaner tool
    Chain link remover
    Bike stand and stool
    BB/cassette tools aren't tool expensive, £5 for shimano £10 for campag. Picked them up. Also crank removal tool, torque wrench, and chain whip (needed to remove cassette)

I'm not skilled but have removed and refitted BB, never done it before. Removed cassette didn't fit a new one but same principle as removing it. Things like pedals etc easy, so is doing inner brake/gear cables. Then derailler setup not too tricky. Also removed chainrings and chainset they're easy too.

A pedal spanner is a must as a normal one is too wide to fit.

I just use one of standard spanners, is it 15mm? Don't see the point of buying a dedicated pedal spanner, since already have one that fits
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)