Shimano Saint crankset on a Carrera Fury 08

gingerninja117
gingerninja117 Posts: 44
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm interested in purchasing a Saint crankset will I be able to fit it on a Carrera Fury 08?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes. But depending what kind of crankset is on it now, it will probably be worth paying a local bike shop to "face" the BB shell so it's perfectly aligned with the threads first.
    Do you really "need" a Saint though? SLX is also as tough as old boots, and is far cheaper.
  • so give the crankset to them and they will fit it and at the moment its the truvativ blaze that came with it.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    As above, facing the bb shell will be required if you want the bearings to last. And also as stated above you really need to work out if you need saint cranks, they are hard hitting cranks for dh and freeride rigs really. Slx will be more than capable and will save you £50.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SLX really are fantastic.
    I only went for Saint because SLX didn't exist back then, and I got an insane bargain on CRC.
  • gingerninja117
    gingerninja117 Posts: 44
    edited August 2010
    so i take saint is designed to be more durable but i do like the 'looks' on their cranks and roughly how much do you think it will cost me for my lbs to fit a crankset and bb
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so i take saint is designed to be more durable but i do like the design for their cranks and roughly how much do you think it will cost me for my lbs to fit a crankset and bb

the design is the same as all shimano HT2 cranks.

the looks are different.

most LBS would include fitting with the purchase.

Costs about 25 quid depending on many things like removal of the old BB and the condition of the threads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Saint is overkill for Fury. If only a saint will be strong enough then you need a new bike.
  • ok so if i were to fit an slx double chainset with bashguard would i need to fit a new front mech and shifter?
  • Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    Nope you wouldn't. You can wind in the H limit screw on the front mech so you don't accidentally shift into the soon to be, none existent chainring. Any bike shop worth going to would do this for you when fitting a double + bashguard.
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    The SLX triple front derailleur wouldn't work with my SLX double and bash. It wasn't about the limit screw but the shape of the mech as it kept rubbing the bash.Needed an SLX double.Can't comment about other models.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It depends on what double ie whether a 36/22 or 32/22. The former works bes with the new mech.