I am overweight so what is their problem

2»

Comments

• cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    andy83 wrote:
    I have chips thrown at me and kids play chicked if i have to commute home late on a friday or saturday, not nice

Which is why i will not commute at 3 am on a saturday morning after night shift ,to many drunk and stupid people about to make it worthwhile.

Unfortunately you get knob heads everywhere, not just on the road.Last week at work the guy i have to work with moaned that because i was helping someone else out (part of my job) he was not going to do my work, i replied that i was on top of things and he then preceded not to talk to me the rest of the week and let me run round like a t**t.

I ride around 2 feet from the gutter and rarely get close overtakes,even further out if there is a pinch point etc.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    supersonic wrote:
    I often shout at cars and vans.

I occasionally bark at the moon :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    I commute daily in nearby Plymouth (not so many scary Moor-folk around!). Most of the time its fine, but occassionally people like to try and skin me with their boy-racers as they pass, block me off so I can't overtake a line of stationary traffic and the such-like. Its all so common now I don't pay any notice.

The trick with cycling (and motorcycling) is to assume nobody has seen you and they are all going to pull out regardless. The ones who do silly things (I'm being kind, when I say silly I mean life threatening) are clearly jealous of my awesome leg power and they wish they could keep up with me :D

Take a deep breath and relax, try and acheive a zen-like calm. Else you're just storing up stress, and who needs more of that?
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    pastryboy wrote:
    Yes it does bother me since it's plain rude and I had no idea who he was or what he was doing - I wouldn't do it to someone elses's property.

GIT ORRRRFFF MAAAA LAAAANNNND!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    As for manners, I am now finding that it is the elderly not the young who have the worst manners, I often hold a door for a youngster, and have a "Ta" in return, yet I have lost count of the old who ignore you and don't thank, believe me it does not go un "rewarded" by me, or without "loud" comment.

What is more rude, not thanking someone for holding a door, or loudly berating someone in public when they don't?
    In your charming dog story what's with the inverted commas on the word "woman"? Get a bell, maybe then you wouldn't have to shout at people.
    Strikes me that you are a bit self-righteous.

As for the white-van man who shouted at you, it's him, not you and has nothing to do with your weight. If you were skinny he would have shouted about that.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Strikes me that you are a bit self-righteous

Duh....

Well today it happened, my disabled son, returning home from Tavistock market along the cycle path come walkway, he was hit by a dog owned by a woman who had it on a 20' lead, it was free to run all over the path, and she was looking the other way, did she ask my son (DIABLED, learning difficulties so riding S L O W) if he was ok, no she swore at him for scaring her dog, if I had been there, well, .

Who is self-righteous.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • <...more tales of woe...>

It seems to me that you are, as you seem to think you are, as massive magnet for trouble.

Could you possibly do all us London-types and jolly big favour, and stay in Tavistock? It would certainly make our lives easier if all the cycling related trouble is kept out of London... :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    <...more tales of woe...>

It seems to me that you are, as you seem to think you are, as massive magnet for trouble.

Could you possibly do all us London-types and jolly big favour, and stay in Tavistock? It would certainly make our lives easier if all the cycling related trouble is kept out of London... :wink:

Actually, as a trouble-magnet, he might serve us better in London, absorbing all the minor quibbles us city folk have.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    <...more tales of woe...>

Actually, as a trouble-magnet, he might serve us better in London, absorbing all the minor quibbles us city folk have.

Ah, but then he might stray across our paths, and we'd have to shun him. Or hide in a doorway until he was out of range...

Much better, IMO, that he stays in Tavistock. Or perhaps Auckland.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    supersonic wrote:

I sometimes wonder if I have tourettes...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    cjcp wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Out loud?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    notsoblue wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Out loud?

All the time. We all do that, right?

Right?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    Why d'you think I wear that mask?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    the reposte to the fat jibe is always: Well everytime I fu<ked your mum she gave me a biscuit

This might enrage them but if anyone else is in the car they'll be laughed down

Harold Bishop of neighbours fame came out with that once at some open day or another to a 'fan'
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    gtvlusso wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    I've had to come to the horrible soul destroying conclusion that 80% of the population are just, let's be honest, ignorant, unintelligent, boorish, self centred, sucking on the teat a-holes and as a result one has to assume that they will behave as such.
    !

I will raise you to 90% of the population - hence the domination of *cheap* tv: X Factor, Big Brother etc etc etc
    mindless sh1t for the plebs.

[rant]
    What annoys me most if the society seems to have lost it's manners, just the simple things: opening doors for people, walking down the street without shouldering people out of the way or taking up the whole pavement - making space for prams and expectant mothers, just helping out when you see someone struggling
    [/rant]

I disagree with all of this. Most people are nice and polite if you meet them face to face. Things just change when you're just part of an anonymous mass travelling on independent journeys in vehicles that abstract them from normal, less vicarious forms of human contact.

Or something :)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,505
    cjcp wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

You need to commute in one of these t-shirts :wink:
    http://x-tremeclothing.spreadshirt.co.uk/i-don-t-have-tourettes-A7531689
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]