tubeless ready?

M1llh0use
M1llh0use Posts: 863
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Bought a trek fuel ex8 last month which tried to kill me first time out. It failed and only managed to break both wrists and my collarbone!

Anyhow, out of sheer boredom i've been standing in the garage for AAAAGES just looking at all the toys i can't use and noticed that the wheels (bontrager rhythm comps) have a little sticker on the saying "TLR - tubeless ready"

Now does this mean just whip out the tubes, stick in some valves and latex, blow em up and hey presto! or do i need to do more gubbins like adding tape and removing rim tape?

Yours sincerely,

Bored of brokenville.
{insert smartarse comment here}

Comments

• TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    I think it depends on the rims of your wheels.

If they are tubeless rims (bigger hook for the tyre bead and no spoke holes) then it's as you said - fit valve, add sealant, seat rim and inflate. Otherwise you need to add something to seal the rim bed and help the bead seal properly, either purpose-made rim tape or a "ghetto" setup.

Actually I have "2Bliss" Fast Traks on my stock Rockhopper wheels. I've just (last night) ordered a bottle of sealant and two 20" inner tubes in order to try ghetto tubeless. I'm fed up of pulling thorns out of my tyres and chucking away perforated inner tubes.

What I hope is that trying a tubeless setup will be slightly easier with tubeless ready tyres.... I hope so, as I don't have a compressor.
  • Garr69
    Garr69 Posts: 6
    Hi sorry to hear about the crash hope ur on the mend...were u wearing my 661 knee pads at the time ? from what i,ve seen they need a tubless rim strip in... but they do have the hooks built into the rim to grip tubless tires...I,ve just got some stans flow rims and am running them tubless, all i can say is go for it ! 3 months of riding and 2 trips to wales = no flats plus able to run low pressure for silly amounts of grip...
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    Afternoon fella!

actually wasn't wearing them :oops: would have saved a rather large lump on my knee if i had been..

have been gifted some rim strips and have ordered valves - just waiting for post bank holiday post ..
    {insert smartarse comment here}