10 speed shifters on a 9 speed

MikeWW
MikeWW Posts: 723
edited September 2010 in Workshop
Road shifters have just broken
They are 9 speed as is everything else
If I buy 10 speed shifters will they work with the rest of the set up( and leave me a click left over) or do I need any or all of the below in addition
Rear mech
Front Mech
Cassette
10 speed chain

Thanks

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you need 10spd shifters, chain and cassette

9spd mechs will be fine, although a 10spd front mech will be slightly better at shifting.

If you are on Shimano, there are also relatively minor issues with using 6700/7900 shifters with the older brakes.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Thanks for the reply
  • Sorry to BUMP an old thread but what if it's the other way round, and you want to use Microshift 9-speed shifters with a 10-speed Campag cassette? I've seen a tri bike with Shimano 9 speed drivetrain (ok it's just the front/rear mechs and cassette).

Was thinking of swapping them out for Campag 10 speed ones and then using some Campag 10 speed wheels with the de-Shimano-ized drivetrain. Would the shifters work if I could live without the bottom gear? It's not like you need 39x25 on a duathlon unless it's the Parbold event is it?
  • Sorry Pianoman. You have to match the shifters with the cassette (and chain) on 10 speed . The spacing of the sprockets is different.
  • You might be interested in this link:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

I run Campag 10 speed shifters on my winter trainer running 9 speed shimano cassette and shimano mechs (using hubbub). I also run Campag 11 shifters on my race bike with 10 speed shimano (using hubbub). Both of these work perfectly - I just prefer using Campag shifters and also Shimano mechs and cassettes tend to be cheaper than Campag (tight arse!! :lol: ). There are also other combinations with SRAM etc.