CO2 gas cylinders - on planes?

ilm_zero7
ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
edited March 2013 in Workshop
is there an official line on taking these on planes - hand luggage where pressurised and more normal - or the hold - depressurised and a risk of failure

does anyone know where to find out fact rahter than hear say?
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

Comments

• feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    You are not allowed to travel with the cartridges. May be that you can get away with them if you put them in your bike box but, if asked to open it or if they scan it and see them, then you'll lose them..
  • odd that - surely the plane is full of them already - what inflates the life jackets when you pull on the tab?
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    DB,

Can't argue with the oddity of it but it's how it is.
  • I have included two cans of CO2 - taped to opposite corners of the bike in bike box - on three recent flights without being asked to remove them (or even having them queried in fact).

The official line is that they are not permitted.

I think the lifejacket cannisters will be designed with more robust seals than bike CO2 cannister.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I have been queried every time I have flown with my bike as to whether I have any CO2 cartridges in my bike box or luggage.

The last time I flew to Geneva they were really insistent, despite me assuring them I didn't have any, and they checked closely on the scanner as my bike went through.

I certainly wouldn't try it...
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • MickTup
    MickTup Posts: 159
    Travelled to the tour in 2006 and took them in my bike bag no problem and obviously they didn't course any issues. Went to Cyprus 2 years later and was told to remove them or they wouldn’t put the bike on the plane. When I asked why it had changed they just said because that’s the rules. Think this could be one for myth busters.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've had them taken off me when in hand luggage but I've had no problems taking them through in the bike box itself.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    DaSy wrote:
    I have been queried every time I have flown with my bike as to whether I have any CO2 cartridges in my bike box or luggage.

The last time I flew to Geneva they were really insistent, despite me assuring them I didn't have any, and they checked closely on the scanner as my bike went through.

I certainly wouldn't try it...

Interestingly before we flew to Geneva as a group we were all made aware that we should not take any gas cartridges on the plane , knowing this we had removed all of them before we left and assured them of this.

Got to our digs in Bourg started to pt the bikes together and 2 fell out of my saddle bag :roll:
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Been asked if I have them and know people that have had them go through no problem.

As many others have said - officially not allowed but if they don't know then they go through!
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    If detected at any stage they will be extracted and destoyed.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Mr Dog wrote:
    If detected at any stage they will be extracted and destoyed.

no so - here is the official CAA document - you can take up to 50 g's - 3 cylinders in the hold luggage but declare it

As per our earlier telephone conversation, please find below an extract from the Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air book, this shows the provision relating to your cylinders A98. I would suggest you clarify the requirements with your operator as they are able to impose stricter regulations on certain items if they wish. I would suggest packing them in your hold luggage but again please confirm this with your respective operator.

≠ A98 Aerosols, gas cartridges and receptacles, small, containing gas with a capacity not exceeding 50 ml,
    containing no constituents subject to these Instructions other than a Division 2.2 gas, are not subject to
    these Instructions unless their release could cause extreme annoyance or discomfort to crew members so
    as to prevent the correct performance of assigned duties. The words “not restricted” and the special
    provision number A98 must be provided on the air waybill when an air waybill is issued.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It depends on the airline, they interpret (or misinterpret) the CAA rules as they wish. I flew BA and was taking 2 cylinders for a life jacket (identical to bike inflater cylinders), their rules said I could take them but I must ask them first, so I called the number and they were completely disinterested and said there was no need to make a note on my booking, so in effect, when they went in the hold, there was no declaration that I had them. In future I would just pack them in the hold luggage and save the price of the wasted phone call.

Other airlines have different policies, I can't remember the details but I trawled several operators and found a range of policies.

BTW, modern passenger aircraft have pressurised luggage holds (same as cabin) so even if lack of pressurisation would make a difference (which it wouldn't), it is a non-issue.
  • matthewn5
    matthewn5 Posts: 51
    Just checked Qantas website, no problem there:
    http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airline ... /global/en
    You're allowed up to 4 per person.
    Meanwhile Singapore Airlines see to prohibit them:
    http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/trave ... trictions/
    I had some in my bike tools in checked baggage and they got through all the way to Oz without problems.