Sky Ride 'Ride for Rewards - Rain Jacket or Hoody?

DazCr
DazCr Posts: 32
edited September 2010 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi,

I have completed 5 Sky Rides and need to choose between a Rain Jacket or the Hoody.

I am leaning towards the rain jacket as a backup 'throw in the Camelbak' option but wondered does anyone have either and are they any good?

Thanks

D
Boardman HT Pro with a few mods
Boardman Team Full Susser
Boardman Hybrid
A retro hardtail seemingly made of lead

Comments

• If its anything like my experiences with Sky Ride, email here:- skyridelocal@tpf-london.com
    whatever reward you choose, you'll find you'll not get it after ride 3!

We normally get emailed from that above addy when we have reached our incentive target however, despite my attempts in contacting them on the last two occasions, I have had no response.
    They say you get a 'Team Sky Jersey' after 10 rides currently retailing at £85 but if they can't dispatch a cheap Haitian made rain jacket or hoody made garment, then its odds on they don't give you a more expensive Sky Jersey.

I had to complete 4 rides before I got my T-Shirt...its a con and to fork out £85 for Team Sky Jersey to ride around advertising their brand really don't give me the feel good factor!!
  • DazCr
    It's not good that you've not had a very good experience but I must say mine has been OK.

I've received 2 water bottles in respect of the 'refer a friend' incentive and received my t-shirt shortly after completing my 3rd ride.

Further to my initial post, I chose the rain jacket and again received this fairly promptly. Its not bad for free but I suspect it's more for a light shower as opposed to a heavy downpour. The seams don't appear to be taped or welded and there is no protection behind the zip. However, it is what it is which is free!! I think I'll mainly stick to my Gore jacket...!!

My son's 3rd ride t-shirt did go astray and they emailed to say it has been re-ordered. I am currently waiting on that, my son's 5-ride rain jacket and a team cap for a further 'refer a friend'.
    Boardman Hybrid
  • DazCr wrote:
    Its not bad for free but I suspect it's more for a light shower as opposed to a heavy downpour. The seams don't appear to be taped or welded and there is no protection behind the zip. However, it is what it is which is free!!

Just as well I have not had my reward then after all. Just wonder how the hoody version compares?
    I was marshalling some events so maybe they took a harsh view of things in the light of the matter as I had a few other prezzies along the way however, its not the point when they put a rewards for rides on their website and its the principal of the matter.

Anyhow I'll be ride leader hopefully, next year and I'll be getting my first aid certificate as well so thats even better still!
  • DazCr
    Does seem a tad harsh.

We may even meet - I've pre-registered for Ride Leader as well.

I have been emailing them a few questions and it transpires that they do not give you the First Aid Training - you either have to obtain a certificate in 'Emergency First Aid' yourself or become an assistant ride leader as the certificate is necessary for the full 'Ride Leader' qualification...
    Boardman Hybrid
  • I'm sure we will at some point next year I'll take the course with the St.Johns Ambulance Here
  • You have to pay for your own First Aid certification.

If the rain jacket is like the one the leaders got, then it is worse than a sponge. The only good thing about them is they dry as quick as they get wet ! :roll:
  • Well I did get my Hoody garment the other day and found it surprisingly good quality!
  • DazCr
    Well I received his rain jacket which was an adult's small rather than a child's 9-11....!!

They have replied to my email to say the correct size has been re-ordered and is being sent out.

We also received the cap and my son loves it - it does look rather good...

Still waiting on his 3-rides t-shirt though......
    Boardman Hybrid