Best Carbon Frame value for money

goodmanner6
goodmanner6 Posts: 20
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi:
I am trying to find the best deal on a carbon frame bike. I commute daily for 22 miles plus the longer Sunday ride. I was looking at the focus cayo Focus Cayo 105 Compact 2010 . I read in the reviews that it is not for a long ride and many hours on the saddle.

I was also looking at the raleigh avanti comp carbon. http://www.raleigh.co.uk/b_details.aspx ... 14&brand=8 . I don't know if it is better for longer distance.

I am open to suggestions but not more than 1300 pounds. Please share your ideas.
thanks

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    I would look at the Planet X SRAM red deal at the moment.
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    There are plenty of excellent bikes around this price range.
    ORBEA BOARDMAN FOCUS PLANET X Etc.

I know several people who have had these bikes for years and no quality issues.
    Just buy the best you can afford, upgrade the tyres asap, and enjoy it.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Has to be the boardman in terms of VFM - if you don't mond being seen on a boardman that is !
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited August 2010
    if you dont mind a bike thats an absolute joy to pelt along on. it set a new £1000 standard you know.
  • EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    Take a look at ribble.

My gran fondo with full carbon centaur was under 1200.00
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I wouldn't change my Boardman TC for anything costing less than £1500. Even then, I doubt I would notice much difference.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • EX DH...beautiful. Dem Ribblers know a thing or two about shaping.

Why is your saddle pointed directly at the sky, however? Is that comfortable...??
  • EX DH wrote:
    Take a look at ribble.

This is very impressive; where can I get one of these beautiful machines. any hints about handling and comfort?
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    I wouldn't change my Boardman TC for anything costing less than £1500. Even then, I doubt I would notice much difference.

+ 1
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Giant advsnced defy 3 at pedalon comes in at £1295 - down from £1750.
    Very confortable due to a relaxed geometry unlike the raleigh and the focus.
    Handles well too.
  • I was checking and I found this colnago
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... nerID=3765
    also I found this Cube
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44402

I was looking at ribble and I am sure it is very nice.
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialed ... ERC&bike=1

Very hard decision. I love all of them but I have to make a choice.
  • nicholasj
    nicholasj Posts: 100
    You may well want to have a look at the Specialized dealers (and the concept stores). I picked up a Specialized Tarmac Comp for £1250.00 brand new, with Ultegra shifters, Ultegra front mech and 105 throughout the rest.. they usually do good deals on the outgoing model year to make way for new stock, its worth asking for sure.
  • nicholasj wrote:
    You may well want to have a look at the Specialized dealers (and the concept stores). I picked up a Specialized Tarmac Comp for £1250.00 brand new, with Ultegra shifters, Ultegra front mech and 105 throughout the rest.. they usually do good deals on the outgoing model year to make way for new stock, its worth asking for sure.

This is very impressive. Where did you get it please?
  • EX DH wrote:
    Take a look at ribble.

There were a couple of the Ribble Gran Fondo's at the New Forest Rattler sportive last weekend; they certainly look very smart. No idea how they ride, although I would be very surprised if they were rubbish.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    CAAD9 :twisted: :D
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • nicholasj wrote:

This is very impressive. Where did you get it please?

Sorry, just back on here today - I got mine from the Spec Concept Store in Birmingham - they were clearing out the stock to make way for new seasons models coming in - I'm actually in London but Sue was great to deal with and she ended up shipping the bike down to me for free too- very stoked :D
  • EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    The saddle has now changed position and height. Was trying differant positions to get compfy(dodgy hip). Rides realy well, bearing in mind i dont have anything to compare it to as its my first road bike but it deffo looks the biz.