So OT I should reallly post it elsewhere: Kayaks

2»

Comments

• Pyranha Fusion. Not too big, get the connect 30 outfitting and it is supremely comfortable, plenty of room for feet, nice rudder that can be lifted up and really makes it track in a straight line when down, good enough for lakes, estuaries, fairly rough rivers.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Why is the back end sinking?

'Cause the front end's off the water.

Boats: Not often articulated.

Hmm. You sure cause and effect are the right way round?

Actually, yes!
  • Geoffroid wrote:
    Pyranha Fusion. Not too big, get the connect 30 outfitting and it is supremely comfortable, plenty of room for feet, nice rudder that can be lifted up and really makes it track in a straight line when down, good enough for lakes, estuaries, fairly rough rivers.

Oooh thanks, I'll have a look. Would it handle the sea? Coastal, obv.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    my boat has an engine...sooo much easier.

Just got my RYA Powerboat level 2, working torwards Costal Skipper at the moment :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Engine = cheating.

pah no never, not when the engine is the back up to the sail. Makes for an easier life getting in and out of the Dart Estuary.

Jake tend to do most of the work these days, but with my learning I am doing more all the time.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Jesus, can't you post this on http://www.kayakradar.com No one here is interested in your love of watersports*

*except ITB...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Jesus, can't you post this on http://www.kayakradar.com No one here is interested in your love of watersports*

*except ITB...

Watch it you :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I thought I had everything I wanted. Now I want a kayak. Bugger this forum! :lol:

Nothing like thread resurrection!

Well I had never kayaked before making the above statement.

Thanks to this thread I have now paddled about 20 hours, I've paddled on a lake, on the River Lea, and I've been on the Thames. I've been in one and two man canoes, one and two man kayaks, tried a racing kayak, joined a club, been on a two day BCU1 course and passed, and have signed up for my BCU2.

I'm now on the lookout for my own boat, anyone have a Pyranah Fusion for sale?

LiT, you have a lot to answer for!
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Noticed whilst picking up my B'Twin Vitamin a few months ago that Decathlon had a range of canoes / kayaks.

At the time I wondered who would be buying them, now I know!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • I thought I had everything I wanted. Now I want a kayak. Bugger this forum! :lol:

Thanks to this thread I have now paddled about 20 hours, I've paddled on a lake, on the River Lea, and I've been on the Thames. I've been in one and two man canoes, one and two man kayaks, tried a racing kayak, joined a club, been on a two day BCU1 course and passed, and have signed up for my BCU2.

Hahahaha! Love it!

Well, I've also joined a club, we're on the thames and the grand union, been elected to their committee, done my 1* and 2*, about to start my L1 coaching, off to Brighton for my first sea kayaking trip this evening (fingers crossed for tomorrow's weather), bought most of the clothing as cheaply (ha!) as possible with the help of the club... there are a few overlaps with cycling and sailing gear, luckily.

My sea kayak arrives on monday (my word they're kinda pricey) along with 2 paddles and a touring spraydeck, just in time for me and my friend to start training for the 4-day version of this:

http://www.dwrace.org.uk/

I must be mad. :shock:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep, mad. Mad, I tell you :shock:

Enjoy
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    JonGinge wrote:
    Yep, mad. Mad, I tell you :shock:

Enjoy

+1. I'd rather do hill repeats up Ditchling....Good luck though!!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • there are a few overlaps with cycling and sailing gear

I haven't bought any clothing yet, I've got by with my plethora of cycling and hiking gear...apart from a pair of neoprene shoes so I could wedge myself in the racing boat!

D2W, hadn't heard of it 2 months ago, now I hear about it every day! I feel the need to participate too :?
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    My sea kayak arrives on monday (my word they're kinda pricey) along with 2 paddles and a touring spraydeck, just in time for me and my friend to start training for the 4-day version of this:

Ooh, love kayaking threads ! What boat did you get ?
    I've got a brand new Pyranha Burn sitting in my living room waiting for the first whitewater trip of the seaon :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Kib
    Kib Posts: 12
    Lost_in_though

There is a really good forum called www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk and they normally have a DW threat running each year with training tips.

Its a tought event! I have not done it but work at the Outdoor Centre that they camp at on the last night so see all the knackered people each year!

Enjoy and have fun!
    Simon
  • My sea kayak arrives on monday (my word they're kinda pricey) along with 2 paddles and a touring spraydeck, just in time for me and my friend to start training for the 4-day version of this:

Ooh, love kayaking threads ! What boat did you get ?
    I've got a brand new Pyranha Burn sitting in my living room waiting for the first whitewater trip of the seaon :-)

A P&H Scorpio - http://www.phseakayaks.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=20
  • Kib wrote:
    Lost_in_though

There is a really good forum called www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk and they normally have a DW threat running each year with training tips.

Its a tought event! I have not done it but work at the Outdoor Centre that they camp at on the last night so see all the knackered people each year!

Enjoy and have fun!
    Simon

Oooh thanks, great spot! :D

I will be one of the knackered....... :shock:

Any tips gratefully welcomed!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I thought I had everything I wanted. Now I want a kayak. Bugger this forum! :lol:

Great to see another new paddler, but don't buy a Fusion, at least not new ! It's the hybrid of kayaks, neither one thing nor the other....if you want a touring boat get a Carolina or similar - fast, comfortable, cheap. For whitewater there are more niches than you'd believe possible - I have a Pyranha Stretch I could be persuaded to part with.
    Also, if you're just starting out, try to buy 2nd hand - as your experience develops your needs will change. The 2nd hand section on ukriversguidebook is your friend.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Well that was great fun, my good god surf kayaking is knackering... it was too rough for us to do a sea kayak trip.

Here's a picture about an hour before we went in....

69380_446263361045_618541045_5875635_161373_n.jpg

and here's me hiding behind a wave!

66056_446265171045_618541045_5875658_3607610_n.jpg
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I took my race boat in the sea at barmouth once, turning round was a bit sketchy. Sea kayaking in proper rough water scares me, i'd be worried about snapping my spine, normal surfing hurts enough for me.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • My kayak was better at surfing than I was....

66986_446266566045_618541045_5875699_5587744_n.jpg
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    LiT, I take my hat off to you (only cos I'm indoors). You are proper nuts :shock: :lol:

Remind us the when the DW is and I'll join the Westminster welcome committee :)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A friend's bro-in-law paddled unsupported around the coast of England, about 50%, in a sea kayak. He did encounter a few problems like having his kayak and kit nicked within a few days of starting off.

http://freelunchlog.blogspot.com/
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.