London Rain

124»

Comments

• Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    edited August 2010
    It's ok to be wet as long as you stay warm.
    +1

You have a choice: get wet but stay warm and fairly comfortable -or- stay dry (from the rain anyway) but hot & clammy.

Pure cotton clothes (which I'm guessing your t-shirts are) are crap in the wet. Once saturated they become cold, clingy and uncomfortable. Lycra is a bit more like a second skin, helping your body retain its heat somewhat. Wool, merino especially, is even better in that respect. Lycra dries quickly. Cotton does not. Wool does not either, but retains warmth even when very wet. Waterproof jackets, especially the cheaper ones are likely to make you too warm at this time of year because they're not breathable. Fancier, more technical materials used for jackets breathe a lot better, but they're expensive.

On a budget I'd be inclined to buy stuff that's usable in different situations: a single pure merino wool or smartwool (mix of merino and polyester) top will be pricier than a 3 pack of cheap t-shirts, but works in a wider range of weather, and doesn't smell for ages so can be worn for commuting all week. Stuff marketed specifically for the cycling market can be marked up a lot, sometimes general outdoor gear (see you local camping store) can be cheaper. I would have recommended Shutt VR as they were doing a very decent smartwool jersey on clearance for £35, but I guess they sold out. A quick search on the web shows smartwool or pure merino baselayers/t-shirts for £25-30, you can probably do better keeping an eye on sales (and as other have said your local Lidl for when they do cycling gear). Remember: layering - a thin, but good quality baselayer is useful/wearable year-round.

If you do want a water proof jacket, you'll want one meant for cycling - it's be cut longer at the back and shorter at the front. Running and general outdoor jackets will bunch up round your stomach and leave your lower back exposed. I bought an Altura Nevis (cheaper than the ubiquitous "Night Vision", and still quite noticeable) jacket for ~35 quid from my LBS last year. It's not too bad for the price, but I can live without the boil-in-the-bag effect 8 or 9 months out of the year.

I've also got a pair of waterproof over trousers, but haven't worn them in ages, lycra (or occasionally synthetic baggy shorts) isn't uncomfortable when wet, and dries quickly enough.

If you do go for lycra shorts, you might buy a set of knee or full leg warmers, making the shorts useful even when the weather turns a bit colder. You can also get arm warmers to do the same for short-sleeve tops. Lycra shorts probably wont be thick enough to keep you warm midwinter (lycra "tights" or "longs" are usually thicker with a brushed pile to retain heat), but you can always wear them under your normal shorts when it turns brassy.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Clever Pun wrote:
    just think of the early campers at Reading festival :lol::lol:

:lol:

hee hee
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    dried up very quickly but in any kind of waterproofs it was so damned hot
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    A modest two pints, then rode home through light drizzle in shorts and t-shirt. Quite pleasant.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Walked between work and Bank in the drizzle. The bike bag over my shoulder was impervious to the rain :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Waterproof shorts are the way forward. I have these and they're one of my best cycling related purchases:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/alt ... gn=froogle

As long as it's not too warm (say 17+) then they're great and don't get too hot after an hour's ride.

At the moment I wear these shorts, 'try' and keep my shoes dry with overshoes and just change my t-shirt/gloves. Far too warm at the moment to even consider using a waterproof jacket.
  • An observation about http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Yesterday we had that nasty continuous light drizzle for the whole day and at no point did the rain radar pick it up and show it on the map which was a little disappointing.

Perhaps they just assumed that I would know I was spending the day inside a cloud and wouldnt need any extra help.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    It is crazy to see this rain causing the roads in London to fall apart already. Yesterday I saw a huge sheet of ‘bus lane’ which had some how moved to the next lane. I think this winter will see new lows in road surface quality.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    It is crazy to see this rain causing the roads in London to fall apart already. Yesterday I saw a huge sheet of ‘bus lane’ which had some how moved to the next lane. I think this winter will see new lows in road surface quality.

Seriously? Where?

I haven't noticed any decline in road quality. Apart from the oil spills.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    The south side of Westminster Bridge on the big roundabout. I would say it was the size of a table top and had moved about 4 feet…like a tectonic plate!
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    is the Altura Night Vision gear ok? Both the 'tights' and jacket? (why are they called tights, sounds so g-hey)
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • Altura night vision jacket is a great thing, cheap and cheerful, extremely waterproof.

It's a bit boil in the bag, but the underarm vents help.

Do, however, follow the washing instructions to the letter. If you can, avoid machine washing.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    Altura night vision jacket is a great thing, cheap and cheerful, extremely waterproof.

Do, however, follow the washing instructions to the letter. If you can, avoid machine washing.

i leave the washing to swmbo. She never follows instructions :(

Anything else out there similar price range, less boil in bag?
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    dcurzon wrote:
    Altura night vision jacket is a great thing, cheap and cheerful, extremely waterproof.

i leave the washing to swmbo. She never follows instructions :(

Anything else out there similar price range, less boil in bag?

DHB from Wiggle?
    +1 for following the washing instructions properly. Cool wash, gentle cleaning agents (soap flakes/NikWax-type washes), air dry. Unless you'd like to wash all the breathability and waterproofing away, which will happen.......!!!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    dcurzon wrote:
    is the Altura Night Vision gear ok? Both the 'tights' and jacket? (why are they called tights, sounds so g-hey)

Um, 'cause they are tights. Pretending they're something else is just kidding yourself. Wear your tights with pride - if it was good enough for Robin Hood...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    pastryboy wrote:
    Waterproof shorts are the way forward. I have these and they're one of my best cycling related purchases:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/alt ... gn=froogle

As long as it's not too warm (say 17+) then they're great and don't get too hot after an hour's ride.

At the moment I wear these shorts, 'try' and keep my shoes dry with overshoes and just change my t-shirt/gloves. Far too warm at the moment to even consider using a waterproof jacket.

It's amazing how much cycling kit costs!

I just get wet. I'd rather just get wet, be wet, dry my kit during the day and get wet again, rather than having to buy (and store) a whole pile of expensive kit that really means that (a) you don't get wet so fast (but you still get wet) or (b) you get wet from the inside out rather than the outside in. Neither seem to be worth that much cash.

I have some cheapy cycling shirts from wiggle and that's about it!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Done 3 winters in Night Vision jackets and in-fact used mine for today's ride. It wasn't boil-in-bag today, I had the vents open and was fine. Normally I can wear it with a simple base layer until the temps get to below 5-6 degrees, when an additional layer is needed.

Great all-rounder and I'm a big fan given the price, although judging my today's performance (2 year old jacket) the waterproofing is going and it smells having not been washed in 2 years. Time to wash and re-proof before the winter.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.