Installation of rear mech

mattyboy199
mattyboy199 Posts: 627
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

Bought a new rear mech received it today (after mine destroyed itself) set the limits eveything was fine until i shifted into the smallest cogs front & rear, the chain just seems to be very slack and jumps (i m not actually suprised its so slack). Thing is i cant work out how to stop it doing this any tips ? my chain & cassette are not worn & the chain is the the correct lenght when in the largest gears.

matt
Show me your green bits i might buy them !

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mech cage too short?

but it is not a ratio you will ever use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • it is the shorter XT mech but i wouldnt have though this makes a difference, it did occur to me that i may never used these gears togther
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a read of the FAQ on how to use gears, it explains these ratios and why not to use them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and if you have 3 rings and a wide range cassette then the mech cage is too short.

see the FAQs for that as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • had a read, looks as though i should be using a long cage at the very least a mdeium. Lucky i bought a used item. Thanks for the help.