I need advice on buying a new road bike

oldmandave
oldmandave Posts: 2
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Firstly let me say hello to everyone,
I really need some impartial advice on buying my first road bike - I have been out of cycling for some years now I used to be into mountain biking in the late 80's early 90's - showing my age now and I still have a good unerstanding of what I need from a mountain bike but I havent got a clue when it comes to a road bike. so here goes:

I am looking for a cheap road bike c£700 - £800 but I am unsure what to look for and also there is the issue of size - I am 6 foot 5 inches.

Any helpful advice is appreciated especially size - I would be hoping as well to possibly purchase within the next few weeks if that helps and I am not against buying last seasons bike etc.

Thanks in advance

Dave :shock:

Comments

• Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    Welcome to the forum

There are a great many threads on bikes around your price level (there's even a sticky) - do a search.

Usual suspects are the Specialized Allez/Secteur & various Cannondale & Giant bikes.

Best thing to do is find a few bike shops & test them out - any shop worth using will be able to sell you a bike that will fit you, no matter how tall/short you are
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    some great 2010 bike deals on the go at the moment..... some of the Felts and Ribbles seem great value
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • What about Trek, saw a 1.5 2010 model for £725, almost £200 les than the 2011 model. You need to try the bike but for your size 59-60 sounds about right. I am 6 2 and got a 58.
    Trek 1.5 Triple 2011 Black
    GT Avalanche 1 MTB 2007 Steel Blue
  • Agree on the Trek - and if you can stretch the budget you could get a 2.3. I'm 6 ft 5 and ride a 64cm Trek (both the 1.5 and 2.3 have that size).

I got a bike fit done - and that might be worth thinking about. Variations in leg vs body length might give you other options.

What you can get wrong though, is the size.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    oldmandave wrote:
    I am looking for a cheap road bike c£700 - £800 but I am unsure what to look for and also there is the issue of size - I am 6 foot 5 inches.

You'll get better value going second-hand and I would suggest a frame at least 60cm, maybe even 62cm, depending on frame geometry.