What bike cap! Entirely frivolous with a touch of bonus

MonkeyMonster
MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
So in an attempt to stop disgusting people with drippy face - I'm thinking of getting a cap to aid with keeping me drier...

Assos red is winning the way atm - does anyone have a "no no, you must get a _____" suggestion?
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

Comments

• CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    black or white campy with WC stripes?

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    So in an attempt to stop disgusting people with drippy face - I'm thinking of getting a cap to aid with keeping me drier...

Assos red is winning the way atm - does anyone have a "no no, you must get a _____" suggestion?

For you I'd suggest something really really absorbent :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I wear a Dickie work high viz baseball cap. Happy that it is bright to be seen in all weathers and light conditions. It aint that absorbant, but does let the sweat drip down from the peak away from my glasses and eyes. I actually have 2 now.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • MonkeyMonster
    As Boffo has said - it needs to be absorbant and fit under a helmet.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:

yeah probably a beanie

get a cap that matches your outfit... you'll need a few as you'll have to wash them more frequently than shorts

they're pretty much all of a muchness in fairness just get what looks good when it's soaking wet
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Something made from merino if possible? No concrete suggestions, sorry.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Why is it that all cycling clothes are high tech and wicking with the exception of the cap?
    How can trapping sweat against your head in a manky cotton cycling cap be a good thing?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • pintoo
    pintoo Posts: 145
    I always wondered what those caps were for.

Really, I did.
  • Clever Pun
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Why is it that all cycling clothes are high tech and wicking with the exception of the cap?
    How can trapping sweat against your head in a manky cotton cycling cap be a good thing?

if you'd seen the amount of liquid that came out of his helmet guard at RP....

Cannot be unseen
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • MonkeyMonster
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

Cannot be unseen

Sorry about that...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got a sean kelly cycling academy on from prendas, it's green. Kickass!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

Cannot be unseen

Sorry about that...

I have a similar problem. Cap worn whatever the weather.

The Swrve caps are good. Assos, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

Cannot be unseen

oh my oh my

teehee

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/list.asp?typ=typ&ID=39

I'm wearing a black Assos currently but from the link,

Z, Team Banana, Cinzano or the 7-eleven for a bit of Ochowcz action.

Personally i'm after a white with red and blue stripe Motorola cap to match club kit.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,686
    itboffin wrote:

Do they make them out of silica gel?

Or maybe with some sort of guttering?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Rapha tweed cap. A snip at £35....

http://www.rapha.cc/tweed-caps/
  • Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:

Cannot be unseen

oh my oh my

teehee

:lol:

I was expecting GregT to pick up on that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Depends on the size of your head. I find my Saxo Bank cap (made my Sportful) rather big. My Assos cap and Campagnolo cap are both a nice fit. I have a small head, so I could probably get away without the elastic part on the caps. Oh, my Cervélo cap is really small though. I even need the elastic on that one!

The Campagnolo writing sort of wears away when you wash it, unlike the Assos one.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Bandana (£1.50) folded into a headband.

Get a plain white one. I made the mistake of getting a red one first - ended up with a bright pink forehead all day at work :oops:

I wring it out when I get to work and hang it up and it's dry for the evening ride home. Easy to wash and cheap enough to have several without breaking the bank.
    us0.png
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    itboffin wrote:

A string of Tampax Max taped to the inside of your helmet?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.