Leeds Cycle Point opened today

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Just a quiet opening - the official opening is September 27th for some reason!

I had a look round it today. It is quite a neat looking place - certainly much brighter looking than the dungeon like Dutch cycle points I've seen. Mind you, storage seems pretty small compared to those but then there aren't that many people on bikes in Leeds and it will need more than the cycle point to change that.

The Evans store is very small but has the right stuff in it - tubes, tools, pumps, some clothes, tyres etc and there are a number of bikes to hire for from £8 a day - hybrids or appropriately Dutch style bikes are all they have in so far.

Parking is apparently free til the official launch but I can't seem to find the link for that again :oops: . Otherwise £1 a day, £11 for 10 daily tickets, £15 a month or £120 a year. The monthly seems like an OK deal but, in practice, if you want that you'll be commuting and that really means you'll only want it for about 20-22 days a month.

The monthly and annual have a big advantage though; the cyclepoint is only manned from 7am to 7pm. If you have a monthly or annual ticket, you get a pass card that gets you in from 6am to midnight. 5:45 would have been better as there are a few trains leaving around 6ish. 7pm is really too early to close - trains from London or Birmingham leaving at 5pm don't get to Leeds til after 7pm.

So, some reservations - ought to have been a bit cheaper but needs to cover costs, no obvious room for expansion designed in so better not hope it gets too popular but it does look good and should hopefully encourage bike use in Leeds because there isn't much else to!!
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• Am I missing something?

£1 per day
    £11 for a pack of 10 daily accesses

What is the incentive to pay for the latter?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Am I missing something?

£1 per day
    £11 for a pack of 10 daily accesses

What is the incentive to pay for the latter?

You are missing something - me being a gloit! I meant £10 for 11 daily accesses.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    £15 for a months worth of pilfering access will probably appeal to the local crims!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    There was something in the YEP about the free for a few weeks, its a "soft opening" so they can see if they actually designed it properly and get rid of any issues before they start charging, while I wont be using it, its a much better replacement for the stands that were there previously