What can I replace a rear Maxle with?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    QR dropouts won't be thru-axle though will they?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    QR dropouts won't be thru-axle though will they?

makes no difference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    what?
    Now I'm properly confused. I thought thru-axles passed literally through the frame mounts (dropouts)?
    QR dropouts don't, so I thought that was the defining characteristic.

Tell you what, nick. How's about you fill me in on the common spec of dropouts? You're just confusing me more here.
  • nicklouse
    not always.

Like i said find out what you can get BEFORE thinking any more.

10mm is 10mm is 10mm so that is QR/through/bolt in/nutted or anything.
    12mm is 12mm is 12mm open drop outs or not.

as long as the drop out is the same size you can do most things. except Qr or long threaded axle in a through frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    on my front maxel on my Magura Thors's there is what apears to be a fairly standard QR skewer running through the middle, of the thick tube.... the bit that actually tightens into the dropouts, and then the internal skewer pulls it all together and expands both ends so that it stays put. Could, (i dont know, iv never tried) replace the skewer and cam (but not the cam bed, or the wedge shaped nut on the other end) with a deiferent, better QR... obvioulsy it wouldnt work it it was the wonrg length.

am i making myself clear?

alternatively, do what i do to combat the problem. put the maxle in, tighten the big bit into the dropounts, then pull the cam over, then hold the little wedge-nut while tightening the internal QR by turning the cam... its not elegant, but it works, and has the exacts same effect as doing up the thing mega tight in the first place, and then wrestling with the cam.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • nicklouse
    joshtp
    we are talking rear maxle here. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    joshtp wrote:
    on my front maxel on my Magura Thors's there is what apears to be a fairly standard QR skewer running through the middle, of the thick tube.... the bit that actually tightens into the dropouts, and then the internal skewer pulls it all together and expands both ends so that it stays put. Could, (i dont know, iv never tried) replace the skewer and cam (but not the cam bed, or the wedge shaped nut on the other end) with a deiferent, better QR... obvioulsy it wouldnt work it it was the wonrg length.

am i making myself clear?

alternatively, do what i do to combat the problem. put the maxle in, tighten the big bit into the dropounts, then pull the cam over, then hold the little wedge-nut while tightening the internal QR by turning the cam... its not elegant, but it works, and has the exacts same effect as doing up the thing mega tight in the first place, and then wrestling with the cam.
    That's definitely an interesting idea with the front one, Josh. Replacing the actual cam and skewer could work.
    I'll have a look at the rear and see what I can do with it, but I suspect that holding the adjuster nut, and tightening the skewer lever won't do anything, since the lever is free to rotate. I might have got that wrong, but I've got a vague memory of trying that in the past.
    If that IS the case, then I might be able to solve it by using molegrips or something to grip the adjuster nut, and tightening at that end.
    Provided of course, that the entire maxle doesn;t just unscrew itself from the frame in the process :?
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    joshtp
    We are yes, but it's an interesting train of thought whilst I'm waiting for a reply regarding what drop-outs I can get for it.

I don't particularly want to go back to QR drops, if that was the solution, then I'd just stick with threadlock and maxle.
    But, what little sense I've made of your posts, nick, 10mm WILL be a slotted QR style dropout.
    Does that mean that a 10mm thru axle is not actually a thru axle?
    I don't follow :?
  • Anonymous
    Right, I've bodged it. Sort of.
    What I've done is do it up really tight, then use a plastic mallet to tap tap tap the maxle lever closed. I'll take it for a razz after work tomorrow (hopefully) to see if that worked.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:
    joshtp
    We are yes, but it's an interesting train of thought whilst I'm waiting for a reply regarding what drop-outs I can get for it.

I don't particularly want to go back to QR drops, if that was the solution, then I'd just stick with threadlock and maxle.
    But, what little sense I've made of your posts, nick, 10mm WILL be a slotted QR style dropout.
    Does that mean that a 10mm thru axle is not actually a thru axle?
    I don't follow :?

you can run a 10mm through axle in a Qr drop out. they are both 10mm you can also run a 12mm hub on a 12-10 reducer nutted axle.....

we have been there before with this.
  • Anonymous
    Have we?
  • nicklouse
    Mmm maybe not, just the operation of it.

must have been one of the other nutters.
  • Anonymous
    You're calling me a nutter?
  • nicklouse
    are you denying it?
  • Anonymous
    Nope :lol:

(Just wanted to make sure we're on the same page!)
  • nicklouse
    good.

but when you have an answer to the options lets work out the best result.
  • Anonymous
    Ok.

I'm still confused about how you'd fit a thru axle into QR dropouts though.
    Do they not screw in one end like the thru-axles on forks then?
  • nicklouse
    nope nuts or bolts either end.

forks dont have threads either ( except maxels)

its all internal.
  • nicklouse
    for example but in 150 X 12

huha-dozen-grp.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Fox 36s have threads. Marzocchi QR20s have threads :?
  • Anonymous
    AH!. That picture makes a lot of sense.
    I got you now, I think.
  • nicklouse
    Fox 36s have threads. Marzocchi QR20s have threads :?

nope they do not. the thread on the Marz 20mm in in the axle and on the marz Qr 20 it is on the Qr. the forks are plain.

fox should also be so. but i have not looked at one recently.
  • Anonymous
    The Marzocchi QR20 has a thread on the axle, which screws into the brake side on the fork.
    same with the Fox 36.
    I have both systems in the garage!
  • nicklouse
    The Marzocchi QR20 has a thread on the axle, which screws into the brake side on the fork.
    same with the Fox 36.
    I have both systems in the garage!

nope.

the new Marz 20mm system does but not the Qr20 ( As Marz called it ) no idea of their new name for their maxle like system.
  • nicklouse
    ahhh

just been on to Marzs webby and the new on is 20mm quick release axle.

while the old ones are Qr20Pro and Qr 20

yes it can be fun when people dont use the same names.
  • Anonymous
    Cough. I think you owe me some nothing.
  • nicklouse
    we will see.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    edited August 2010
    I sent superstar an email a couple of weeks ago about their bolt through axles, they only do 150x12mm at the moment, but in sept they should be getting a shipment of 135x12mm axles, which is what you want. It's threaded at one end and has an alan head at the other, should drop right into your maxle dropouts. (I think.)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I sent superstar an email a couple of weeks ago about their bolt through axles, they only do 150x12mm at the moment, but in sept they should be getting a shipment of 135x12mm axles, which is what you want. It's threaded at one end and has an alan head at the other, should drop right into your maxle dropouts.

nope as the maxle drop outs are not 12mm.

the axle is though.