Ever killed anything on your bike ?

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
rabbit ran out into the road in front of me yesterday then panicked and ran back into the bushes inbetween my front and rear wheels ! Considering I was doing 27K at the time it was lucky fluffy bugger.

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I've died a few times on mine.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • northernneil
    Aggieboy wrote:
    I've died a few times on mine.

:lol:
  • I once got a squirrel in Sheffield's Endcliffe Park.

Ran out in front of me and got its head into the spokes.

Thankfully I had a "crud guard" on at the time. Took me a while to wash the bike down prooperly that evening though.

It was a grey squirrel, so I didn't deplete the red population
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • swallowed a few bugs Euuchhhhhhhhhh
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    A big old dragonfly went half way through my front wheel. Sounded like dried leaves being crushed. Found a large section of wing stuck to the rim when I got home.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Didn't kill it, but I ran over a green mamba snake once.... about 10 minutes after missing a puff adder by just a couple of inches.

DCFC0094a_bw.jpg

(that's my tyre track)
    More problems but still living....
  • swallowed a few bugs Euuchhhhhhhhhh
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Killed a few inner tubes, tyres, a few chainrings, a lot of cassettes, chains oh and wheels. Numerous brake/gear cables.
    On my older bikes once killed a crank shaft and totally wiped out a back de-railler. and lots of wheel bearings (although these could be resurrected).
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Dcab killed me when I talked his head off up a steep climb :lol:
  • Couple of years ago in a local RR... A travellers bitch staffy thought it would be fun to run in front of the bunch. one lad bunny hopped it, lad in front of me tried the same but caught its neck and severed it, I went round the opposite side from the flow of blood. Next lap round we heard rumours that it survived that were a gift from the commisaires to keep the spirits of the bunch up. Next lap round we saw its owner throwing the remains over a fence.

Back at the HQ the rider who made contact with the bitch proclaimed that it was the first time since he'd been married that he'd snapped a dog in two ;)
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    amaferanga wrote:
    Didn't kill it, but I ran over a green mamba snake once.... about 10 minutes after missing a puff adder by just a couple of inches.

DCFC0094a_bw.jpg

(that's my tyre track)

Christ
    The weather has obviously changed in Sheffield
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I killed a vole last year on mine. It just ran out in front of me.

I did get perilously close to a squirrel once - I didnt know they were smart enough to lift their tail to avoid getting it run over ! Missed it by an inch or two.
  • I hit a squirrel once that was already dead, it was like running over a brick.
  • Was bombing down a steep local bridge which finished inside of a small copse when a squirrel ran out in front of me.

My weight was forward and I slammed on the brakes, the rear wheel lifted and I literally juddered forwards with a poor squirrel under my front wheel.

I hopped out of the stoppie and this poor critter jumped up at least 4 feet and darted off clumsily into the woods.

Felt really bad about it. Left a huge stain on the ground :twisted:
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    ever ran over a swan.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Insects.

Millions of them......

Bob
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I murdered a CAAD9 :(
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    My dreams.
  • Flibb
    Flibb Posts: 11
    I take it going out goose shooting on the bike doesn't count? Ended up cycling home with the jack russell in the basket, gun over shoulder and a goose on each handle bar. At least that was a couple of Sunday roasts sorted.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I had "dick death" for a while, but a bit of "massage" revived it.
  • I ran right over a spring bunny, don't know if it lived or died, it bounced off into the hedge poor thing....
  • My club mates pride, every time :twisted:

Joking, the only thing my cycling has killed is my bank balance and social life and dreams of an all over tan.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    I killed a young rabbit last year, it shot out of the bushes and before i could do anything my front wheel had gone over its neck, died instantly i hope, poor little blighter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Never killed anything directly but had a sheep run into the bunch in arace that got hit by several riders causing a pile up and hospitalising me and another rider. It just shook its head and walked off straight under the wheels of the commissare's car :lol: Yesterday on our club run a rabbit ran in front of us the guys on the front braked and missed it and as there were only 6 of us I just stayed upright at the back!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    If anything/anyone was on my bike(s) without my permission it would mean they had more than likely have stolen them so I would take what ever action necessary to recover my bikes.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    If i'd caught up to that F*****G A******E who pulled out in front of me then gave me the 2 fingered salute, i would be typing this from my cell :x :x
  • Bob.F
    Bob.F Posts: 1,261
    My club mates pride, every time :twisted:

Joking, the only thing my cycling has killed is my bank balance and social life and dreams of an all over tan.

Likewise: Love life, all hopes/dreams of tours glory...........
    "I like life, it gives me something to do". Ronnie Shakes
  • stock
    stock Posts: 56
    DCowling wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

DCFC0094a_bw.jpg

(that's my tyre track)

Christ
    The weather has obviously changed in Sheffield

Not the terrain, though :lol:
  • Ran over a pigeon on Sunday... silly fecker started to head for the kerb then changed its mind and ran in front of me. Presume it must have ben retarded. Double crunch as I went over it, no time to even touch the brakes. One less flying rat I suppose :twisted:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • northernneil
    Flibb wrote:
    I take it going out goose shooting on the bike doesn't count? Ended up cycling home with the jack russell in the basket, gun over shoulder and a goose on each handle bar. At least that was a couple of Sunday roasts sorted.

:shock:

not much meat on a jack russell but each to his own