The humble, cotton cycling cap

Comments

• Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Bandanas are better! Just don't buy a Rapha one, they cost £45 (not sure if they sell them tbh). Get mine off the market for a quid a pop.

tourdefrance_Marco+Pantani.jpg Pantani can wear one, so can I!
  • sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Those of you that say they don't suit you are doing yourselves an injustice. We need to wear them and keep this tradition alive............

0a4be81e.gif

Seems to work with a tache quite well.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    bandanas for me, quite popular abroad this summer from what i could see when in italy :lol:
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Cap all the time. For reasons already said. And because it satisfies my internal hipster.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    When the padding in the helmet became too stinky to bear I ripped it out. Then I thought, this helmet is ***** uncomfortable. To the rescue came The Humble, Cotton Cycling Cap tm; cool in summer, warm in wiinter, comfortable all year round. Also, the peak can be flipped down in the rain to see even less of where you are going.

There are snares and traps for the unwary however. The first cap I bought had the imprint of a team with a blemished history and was the subject of "words of advice" by a more knowledgeable cycling friend. My (not so) LBS has some plain cotton caps which serve nicely. Casquette does seem a touch petensious Non? I don't call a bottle a bidon, but I might if I spoke French :wink:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • I wear a UV Buff and/or one of those half baseball cap thingies where its just the peak - usually that's my summer riding headwear. If its chilly I have one of those merino/possom wool hat's (so quite close to the cotton cycling caps), with a polaris neckgaiter/head beanie also which I can wear around neck or on me noggin also.

thats it
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I've got a handful of them - from Prendas. Wear them (or a bandana) under the helmet thru the fine weather. I winter I use a skull cap or a woolly hat....
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Wooly hats are awesome in winter. Got a few of them from the charity I work for and some of them are quite expensive ones which cost me around 50p. Charity shops are great places for hats!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Bunneh wrote:
    Wooly hats are awesome in winter. Got a few of them from the charity I work for and some of them are quite expensive ones which cost me around 50p. Charity shops are great places for hats!

Charity shops are great places for everything. I've picked up some real bargains in the past: Christian Dior jacket, Mulberry handbags and knitwear, rare books, antique crockery...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I always wear oneunder my helmet these days after hearing horror stories about wasps and bees flying into the vents. I find the also keep me cool as they hold sweat close to the skin.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Ok, you've collectively convinced me - I don't really care how I look and a cap's not going to be a major investment anyway.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Bunneh wrote:

Charity shops are great places for everything. I've picked up some real bargains in the past: Christian Dior jacket, Mulberry handbags and knitwear, rare books, antique crockery...

I'm as open minded as the next man, anything you want to share with us Ben?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    jim453 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Bunneh wrote:

Only that I like a nice smart jacket, appreciate good writing and know how to make a bit of a profit; I sold on the bags and one or two of the crockery pieces.
    :wink:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    What people forget is how functional they are in hot weather.
    Yoour sweat drips off the peak, rather than into your eyes.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    helps me go faster downhill :) .....keeps wind from going down back of my glasses and watering my eyes (and can`t get cycle specific glasses as too high a lens prescription), so at least I see better. Stops insects etc getting in hair, stops rain getting on glasses. Only don`t wear one when on climbs / hot days
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Cotton caps are multifunctional. As well as keeping the sun and rain off your bonce they are invaluable if you get caught short and have to stop for a sh!t. Soft enough to give a comfy wipe and with a stiff peak to scrape any clinkers away. They clean up like new in the wash too.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I wear one under my helmet if it's a sunny day or like today if it is raining.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I've just bought a GoreTex one from Gore. Waterproof and windproof. I think I'm going to need it this winter, even if the wife thinks it makes me look simple.... :? :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    Cotton caps are multifunctional. As well as keeping the sun and rain off your bonce they are invaluable if you get caught short and have to stop for a sh!t. Soft enough to give a comfy wipe and with a stiff peak to scrape any clinkers away. They clean up like new in the wash too.

Hence, no doubt, the expression ''to cap it all''
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    jim453 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Bunneh wrote:

It made me sile as well.

Back to caps.I have quite a few.The battered the better.
    If the cap fits , wear it!!
    bagpuss
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    No helmet, just one of the great many cycling caps I have for me when riding. As said above, the older the better, although my Zappi's cap has become a bit of a favourite.

I'm 45 so not quite fitting into the old geezer demographic described earlier, but I am yearning to give up the lycra and always tearing about in training, pouring with sweat. Instead I fancy some nice plus fours, a Fair Isle roll neck, Argyle socks and leather shoes. The Litespeed will get traded in favour of a nice Mercian too.

I passed an old guy a few months ago dressed this way, trundling relentlessly up a pretty tough hill that I was doing repeats on, and for some reason I felt like he was the real cyclist of the two of us, despite the hours of training I do...my day is coming.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME bandanas are fine for hot weather, but simply aren't as adaptable as a cap - the peak in particular makes riding the the rain in a bunch more tolerable and a real boon when approaching drivers fail to dip their headlights in the dark.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • For the well-tanned Euro-cyclist, caps are a useful clue to identifying Brits abroad, especially when worn "Norman Wisdom" style with the peak turned upwards.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    For the well-tanned Euro-cyclist, caps are a useful clue to identifying Brits abroad, especially when worn "Norman Wisdom" style with the peak turned upwards.

Norman in head to toe Rapha. :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I wear one over my helmet. I look like a jockey :lol:
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    stratcat wrote:
    I quite fancy a cycling cap, I think they look kind of 'old school' cool to me, my wife thinks its a big no-no. I think she's afraid I'll ride without a helmet, but I always wear a helmet, too many years riding motorbikes and mountainbikes makes it feel weird without a lid on.

Anyway what do you think about the humble cycling cap?

As Dave Harmon would say Casquette
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    A top bit of kit when neccessary. My Mavic one was in use this am on a rainy commute.
    M.Rushton
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I wore my Sean Kelly Academy one this morning, made me look double hard when combined with armwarmers and knee warmers.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    anto164 wrote:
    wouldn't be seen dead wearing one.

As said before me, i'd wear a buff if it's chilly.

But if it's not cold and you want a barrier to insects flying into the vents in the helmet, you need a cloth cap.... I'm not wearing a buff when it's 30C+!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.