Bike Farm - A new mountain bike track in Kent?

oysterkite
oysterkite Posts: 79
edited December 2010 in MTB general
Hi, all.

A mate of mine is in the process of attempting to get planning for a purpose built family friendly 'cycling resort' based near Brands Hatch . The idea is for a clubhouse, mtb track, and access to the racetrack at Brands Hatch for the roadies as well as a the facility for local schools to do the 'bikeability' scheme .

Its here ... http://bikefarm.co.uk/

Any thoughts on the idea?

Comments

• wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Spend the money on the tracks, layout ,designs, a tent can be used for the cafe, if the trails are pants - no one will go.
    And no walkers or dogs.
    Or horses.
    Graded tracks = beginner, ave, exp, clearly marked with arrows and a one way direction for the day
    Host events ie x country, free style etc to spread the word.
    Deals with local hotels , bed & breakfast, camp sites etc for the weekend riders.
    Don't think, BE:
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Spend the money on the tracks, layout ,designs, a tent can be used for the cafe, if the trails are pants - no one will go.
    And no walkers or dogs.
    Or horses.
    Graded tracks = beginner, ave, exp, clearly marked with arrows and a one way direction for the day
    Host events ie x country, free style etc to spread the word.
    Deals with local hotels , bed & breakfast, camp sites etc for the weekend riders

Exactly this. I don't care if i'm sitting in a leaky tent eating a burger - the trails are what matter. Kent would be perfect aswell as I have barely any places to ride :wink: Make a DH/FR track and i'll be there :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,734
    Anything fairly near me with some decent MTB facilities will be welcome. Get a decent range of trails from beginner/family through singletrack and some techy bits for us lot if possible. As said above, you need well planned, interesting trails and keep it bike only.

I reckon you need a half decent visitors centre to get the mainstream coming - they're not all die hards like us :wink: It doesn't need to be flash and can just be a cafe/rest area//picnic tables/toilets etc.

Good luck....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/big-new-cycling-centre-for-kent-28742
    Didn't listen to single thing we said.
    Can't see this place as being to successful as it looks like all the money is going on the building. :cry:
    Don't think, BE:
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    It's costing £9m so I would say 90+% of it is going on the groundwork/trail/track building.

We should give it the benefit of the doubt.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • wobbem wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/big-new-cycling-centre-for-kent-28742
    Didn't listen to single thing we said.
    Can't see this place as being to successful as it looks like all the money is going on the building. :cry:

Is this actually the same place as the link from the OP? The designs look very different to me. Maybe there are two different developments proposed for Kent? Agree with your comments about the trails being the key, but hopefully this will just be the start of more investment in mountain biking in the south east?
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    im a big fan of more riding being available in kent!
  • I thought this was going to be about people growing and harvesting bikes.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    The link above is for a bike park based just off the A2. It has been on the radar for a while now as is to be built on land between the old A2 and the brand new 8 lane carriageway.
    The centre would be near Gravesend.

Presumably the centre that the OP talks about is different, because Brands Hatch is just off the A20 and M20
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    tenfoot wrote:
    The link above is for a bike park based just off the A2. It has been on the radar for a while now as is to be built on land between the old A2 and the brand new 8 lane carriageway.
    The centre would be near Gravesend.

Presumably the centre that the OP talks about is different, because Brands Hatch is just off the A20 and M20

cool, thats about 10 minutes form where i live!!
  • Bear in mind that the A2 activity Park will be built during 2011, so you need to make a different offer. The woods around the rally school always looked promising, but you would need to be extra sure that anything you spend money on will be used and won't be despoiled by MotoXers. There are quite a few XC riders in the area and a fair amount of demand for events so if you're cearful with timetabling you could get an E-side equivalent of the Gorricks....