Thomson stem help

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,513
edited August 2010 in Workshop
I've just tried to replace my Ritchey stem with a Thomson elite stem. The Thomson stem is sitting slightly higher than the steerer tube so when i replace the headset cap, it won't sit flush and i can't tighten the headset bolt properly. I don't really want to remove any 5mm spacers if i can help it. I never had any problems with the ritchey.

Any solutions greatly appreciated.
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    The top of the stem should be about 3 mm higher than the top of the steer tube. If they were flush, you wouldn't be able to tighten the headset. Is the problem that the star fangled nut is too low in the steer tube for the bolt to reach? Or even when tightened the headset is still lose?

If the nut is too low and you don't want to lower the stem, probably the only solution would be to knock it in even further and install a new one above it at the correct height (depth). I don't think you'll be able to get the current one out. Do check this really is the problem first though.

A photo may help to see what the problem is.

I use a Thomson stem and seat post, very nice.
  • seanoconn
    Term1te wrote:
    The top of the stem should be about 3 mm higher than the top of the steer tube. If they were flush, you wouldn't be able to tighten the headset. Is the problem that the star fangled nut is too low in the steer tube for the bolt to reach? Or even when tightened the headset is still lose?

If the nut is too low and you don't want to lower the stem, probably the only solution would be to knock it in even further and install a new one above it at the correct height (depth). I don't think you'll be able to get the current one out. Do check this really is the problem first though.

A photo may help to see what the problem is.

I
    use a Thomson stem and seat post, very nice.

Thanks. I've just gone away for the weekend but will put your advice to good use on my return. I wanted to get the stem to match my thomson seatpost. I had assumed that the steerer tube clamp end of stems were all exactly the same size but maybe not.
  • seanoconn
    Term1te wrote:
    The top of the stem should be about 3 mm higher than the top of the steer tube.

Yeah you were right. My new thomson stem is only just higher than the steerer tube, which was causing me to have too much movement from the headset. I tried my old stem again which is about 3mm higher than steerer tube and the headset adjustment was perfect. Bit of a pain that the new stem clamp was slighly smaller in height. I guess i'll have to get a 3mm spacer.

Thanks for the help.