Screw on cassette to singlespeed??

drumsmasher
drumsmasher Posts: 241
edited August 2010 in Workshop
I have an old steel roadie that i am looking at turning into a time trial set up. The wheels at the minute have an old 7 speed cassette that screws on to the hub. Will this still be a standard size to put on a single cog or are they all Shimano/Campag splined hub set ups?

Thanks.
Another tree...another cracked rib!!

Comments

• aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    if it's an old screw on freewheel block your talking about...i've used such a hub for a fixed gear conversion easily enough. imagine you could do the same if you wanted a single speed freewheel?
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Strictly speaking, you haven't got a cassette, you've got a freewheel (as aarw says). Once you've removed this with the appropriate freewheel remover (if you haven't got one, it's as well to get it removed at a bike shop - unless you want to replace the freewheel at some point), you are left with a hub and a thread at the end. You can get the relative gubbins to convert the wheel to a fixed/ss.
  • Thanks chaps. I didnt realise i could turn it into a fixed gear?? I thought as the hub is currently a freewheel cassette that it would have to be a single speed and not fixed. Do i simply change the freehub for a fixed hub?

I would prefer fixed over single but didnt realise i could do it! Thanks again for your help.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    If it is a screw on freewheel, you haven't got a freehub.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

As it explains in the second article, it is not ideal without a lockring but it is straightforward enough to convert.
  • Thanks mate...that explains it well and i think i understand what is to be done. Cheers.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No problem fitting a singlespeed freewheel to your existing wheel, but you may have to get your wheel re-dished to get the chainline aligned - i.e. to get the chain to run straight, you may need to adjust the spacing on the rear hub which could move the rim off-centre in the drop-outs. Re-dishing involves adjustment of the spokes to bring everything back into line. Starting position is your choice of chainset, bottom bracket and where you run your chainring. Sheldon Brown has plenty of info.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • big R
    big R Posts: 38
    sorry to hi jack the thread but

where can you get replacement 6 or 7 speed freewheel block with as small ratio for TTs?

any ideas who make them now or where to get them?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For freewheels - try ebay or someone like campyoldy.co.uk - Sachs Aris or Regina were popular makes back in the day - for TTs people would run a 13-19
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Robert456
    Robert456 Posts: 103
    I run a shimaNo dura-ace 7400 13-21 7 speed freewheel which I've found faultless, a tighter version of this may be what your after, got mine from ebay