Braking with carbon wheels

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
Morning !!!

Some of you will have seen my thread regarding buying some carbon wheels. Now, as this is (potentially) my first forray into carbon wheels, I'd like to hear your opinions on braking performance with them. I realise I'd need specific pads, and was thinking of some SwissStops, the Bontrager web site recommends their own cork/rubber pads, would I need these or are the Swiss Stops better ? I'm using Ultegra brakes.

And...... should I expect poor braking anyway, is this is a trade off of carbon wheels

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated (unless you suggest I f*ck off :wink: )Cheers......... Matt
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get carbon rims with an Alu braking surface ? I only use my carbon wheels for racing - so I don't brake a lot - they are all carbon though. If it's an all round wheel though - I can't see the benefit really ?
  • MattC59
    The benefit is they're £450 !!

I wouldn't go for these usually, but they're hardly used and 30% of the rrp. Too good a deal to pass on.

So............... any thoughts on teh original post ?
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I've got some carbon rims with specific pads and to put it bluntly in the wet they don't stop very well at all(remember steel 70's rims and granite pads you'll get the idea) Thats why I use them only for racing and TT'ing
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A saving on something that's not very good isn't a saving.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    I have Hyperons and Lightweights, no worries about breaking. I love Campag carbon pads, they are the best!
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I've got two sets of carbon rimmed wheels, one pair of Planet X Pro Carbon 50's, which I use for road races and club TT's, and a ZIPP 808 front with ZIPP 900 disc for use in open TT's.

I have Planet X's Equinoxx pads on my TT bike. I'm confident in them in the dry and moderate damp, but in the full wet it goes like - brake, nothing, nothing, nothing, bite, ouch.

I used the Bontrager corks on my road bike originally, but they are useless in anything other than full dry. I swapped to the Campagnolo carbon specific inserts and have been quite happy with them even into moderate rain, although if rain is likely and it's only a training ride I'd swap the wheels out for my alloy Campag Scirrocco's and switch the brake shoes for those containing standard pads.

Put a paint dot on your brake shoes with standard pads to avoid confussion.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I've been behind someone on a steep descent who had a set of carbon wheels and he slowed down but he could never stop! if you are confident of your abilities and sensibile then they will be ok (that is not a statement you may use in court) but as recommended on here use them in good weather and have alu or ceramic for wet weather and you'll be safe and have fun.
    M.Rushton
  • MattC59
    Looks like I'm getting me a set of Aeolus 5.0 wheels then :D:D:D

I'm damn sure I wouldn't if they were full price, but at £450, I don't think I can go wrong !!
    Summer use only.................................
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    I have some Reynolds DV 46 run with swiss stop yellow, perfect braking in wet or dry, no grabbing of the wheel. Used in road racing. TT, also good coming down fast alpine descents.
  • MattC59
    Thanks for the replies folks.

As mentioned, these are waaaaaay beyond my requirements, but as I know their history, and they're £450...................

Loook out for the guy struggling along, on a Trek with carbon wheels and a sh*t eating grin on his face :lol::lol::lol:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    SwissStop pads are great. Yellow ones for carbon rims - probably better than the Bonty pads.

Braking in the wet WILL suffer but you'll stop. Even braking in the wet on alu rims still suffers.

£450 is a great deal as long as there are no problems with them (I'd be concerned that the price is so low).
  • MattC59
    Pokerface wrote:
    £450 is a great deal as long as there are no problems with them (I'd be concerned that the price is so low).
    I don't really have a concern with the price. The guy selling them is my boss, he's 16 1/2 stone and thinks he's too heavy for them. The rear is new under warranty as the original was flexing badly when he did the Marmott. Otherwise, they're as good as perfect.

They're sitting in his front room gathering dust, so he just wants rid of them (well, I suspect his Mrs does !! :lol: )
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Well - if they belong to your boss - then grab them up! (Although I would still be tempted to have them checked over by your LBS quietly on the side).

I suppose if anything DOES turn up he would give your money back, etc.

But sounds like a great deal.
  • MattC59
    Well, I bought them :D

They were the Aeolus 5.0 ACC, the one with the Aluminium rim......... it would appear that my boss doesn't know what he's talking about !! Still, that negates my concern with braking !

The front only has 1000miles on it and the rear is just back as a warranty rebuild from Trek, including new bearings and spokes. Both spin beautifully, are arrow true and more importantly........... look great :D:D:D

I got them for £450 including a Dura Ace cassette (100miles on it) and a pair of Conti GP4000s and tubes (same milage).

I'm quite chuffed ! Just got to keep them out of view of the Mrs now !!