Hybrid and child's seat

es330
es330 Posts: 46
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Thinking about buying a hybrid for around £300-£400 and having a child's seat fixed to the back.

Can't say I've even looked at a hybrid before. Any guidance? Also, anyone familiar with reliable brands for the child's seat. He is 2 years old.

Thanks
Trek 2.3 2010

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    es330 wrote:
    Thinking about buying a hybrid for around £300-£400 and having a child's seat fixed to the back.

Can't say I've even looked at a hybrid before. Any guidance? Also, anyone familiar with reliable brands for the child's seat. He is 2 years old.

Thanks

got a Hamax fixed to my mountain back - never a problem, my son loves it!
  • es330
    PBo wrote:

Cheers. Which one?

Do the brackets come with it? What else would I need to attach it to my mountain bike?
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    es330 wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Cheers. Which one?

Do the brackets come with it? What else would I need to attach it to my mountain bike?

is it a hardtail? full sussers are a whole different ball game.

This one is worth a look, especially with a 2 y.o. you'll get a few year use out of it. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Co-Pi ... 000000058/
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I`ve got one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LECO-TOP-TUBE-FRA ... 645&query={query}&fitem=200496239129&linkin_id=8057410&mt_id=635&kw={query}

My son loves it and it`s great because they`re in your view all of the time. He`s nearly 5 now and I still pick him up from school on it everyday
  • es330

is it a hardtail?

Tis indeed. Haven't had it out for over year though (since converting to a road bike). The tyres are pure off roaders. Was thinking I could simply change the tyres to a more road worthy set (don't want the little man nodding around all the time round the back!). Then I again, I was thinking about treating myself to a hybrid. Thinking wisely, I should save my money and buy road friendly tyres and pay more the that Limo seat. I'm sure he'll love it!
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    For a two year old you may want to consider a trailer - 'bumper' brand ones are pretty good. As the children get heavier child seats can make you feel pretty unstable, especially when mounting or dismounting the bike. The bumper trailers also double up as off-road type pushchairs and keep kids warmer and drier. We bought a double seat one which left plenty of room for all our gear & shopping etc. They seem to keep their value second hand well too.

For a child seat, avoid anything with rear suspension or seatpost suspension. With our old one I found that my heels clashed with my daughters toes as I pedalled, so look out for this.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    es330 wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Cheers. Which one?

Hamax "Kiss" I think.

Bracket came with, but you can buy extra so seat can be used on other bikes too. MTB is a hard tail.