Full bike strip, clean and service.

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Well, I now have no forks for the P7. This means no riding for me this weekend :(

So i'm gonna take the opportunity to give whats left of the bike a really good going over.
I'm probably going to take it right back to the frame, so just want a bit of advice....

With the BB, what should I look out for/should I be greasing anything?
Its an XT BB, failry new, just want to make sure its running smoothly!

the rear freehub has become a bit gritty, can I strip and rebuild the XT hub? and is it hard?

Think thats about it really, might give the brakes a bleed but I doubt I have enough oil and tbh they probably don't need it!

TY!

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Don't need to do anything to the BB

xt hub is cup and cone. 9 bearings either side. A complete new set is only a fiver from bike shop. Clean it all out, check for pitting on the cones and replace if you need to and pack with grease. You can remove the actual free hub and clean it out with degeasant. Let it dry and run a bit of oil in there. There is a how2 on here or Park tools. ;)
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    I have stripped a hub recently to clean out some bearings, its quite a simple job i guess, hardest part is getting the correct preload on the bearings when rebuilding.

Is there anything that can be done beyond what you have pointed out above, Liam, to service a freehub? I wasnt expecting the thing to just come off in my hand like that, i was expecting a shower or cogs and things! :lol:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=44

This explains it.

Really easy. You just have to remove the axle and then use a 10mm allen key to remove the actual free hub. peel the o ring from the back and swill it in some degreasant, shake it dry and relube it. I do mine at work so I can use some paraffin to clean it and compressed air to blow it out. Then just relube it with some chain oil. Becomes nice and clicky again.
  • Ace thanks guys :)