Roof carriers and Spez Carbon Enduro

123oldman
123oldman Posts: 268
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,
Have an issue, does anyone know if you can use the Mont Blanc Barracuda roof carrier with an 09 Spez Carbon Enduro (M frame if its of any use)?
Going to share the cost of the carriers with a friend, however if the combination isn't useable (i hear that the support arm is quite short and the curve on the enduro is fairly high,thus the question).
Any help would be greatly appreciated, if any other recommendations are out there for me to consider,please put them forward.
Thanks for any help guys.
Stu

Comments

• SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    Hi mate

Cant really comment on roof mounted systems but if you can stretch to it i would go for a tow-bar mounted system.

bike2.jpg
    bike1.jpg

Rock solid at 70 on the motorway on a recent 300 mile drive to cumbria, carrys 2 bikes (3 with optional kit). Its expensive, but you get what you pay for.

You may also wish to check out this thread

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... highlight=
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bike goes in boot.

I'd have thought the bigger issue with the Enduro is the front hub, you're not gonna be able to get a fork mounted carrier easily, and the ones where you leave both wheels in are usually pretty unstable at speed, I certainly wouldn't use one!
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
    This is my old Patriot on my Barracuda, and yes it was a problem getting it to fit.
    The Barracudas are really good carriers, but they struggle with tyres of 2.3 and above, and as you mentioned, the arm isn't very long. In order to get my Patriot to fit I have to partially deflate the front tyre and drop my forks from 160mm travel to 115mm.
    Once in it is very secure however.
    01102009462.jpg

Recently bought a downhill bike that just will not fit, so I've invested in one of these:
    9502_b.jpg
  • 123oldman
    123oldman Posts: 268
    Thanks for the insights so far guys, I've looked at the tow bar option a little while ago.
    The issue I have with this, I would require a removeable bar which is looking towards the £200 area,then add on that the carrier and lights attachment = £350/£400 area.
    Due to circumstances,at present money is a delicate area (as it's been designated for other "house" projects).
    A certain someone will less than impressed with me, if that sort of cash went on a tow bar and carrier. :oops:

The roof carrier I could wing as I could pick it up for less than £150.

Unless someone can lend me a money tree? :wink:
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
    A Thule 591 might be what you're after, they have a much longer arm.