given a wreck: what to transfer?

tsenior
tsenior Posts: 664
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
wreck is a bit harsh actually, some good bits (btw not asking for anyone to go away and do research, just a bit of "top of the head" tips from some knowlegable types before i start moving bits around and finding they dont fit :D ) I was given an old avalanch today and partially stripped and have 2.5 questions:

DSC02877.jpg

and am wondering what to do with the various parts...now ii like my old (1995) steel yukon pub bike (PB) so am minded to donate the frame and forks (bombers) to my mate who had his runnaround nicked......unless its a much lighter frame?

DSC02893.jpg
v
DSC02894.jpg

MAIN QUESTIONS:

A) i would like to move the wheels over to PB, these are mavic X221 rims and deore FH-M510 VIA-M hubs...but wreck is 9spd (see below) and pub 7spd (slx i think), will the wreck hub take the 7spd cassette on PB?

DSC02886.jpg

B)the brake lever/shifters and rear mech (9spd) could be switched to my hardrock: currently SRAM x4 8 spd. Wreck bikes are Deore LX 9 speed, i'm guessing no probs with the cassette: will the levers be ok with BB5s?

DSC02892.jpg

[thanks for taking the time to read and respond :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Avalanche looks to be about 1998 and should be lighter than the steel Marin.

You can move the cassette on to the new wheel if you use a spacer.
  • tsenior
    your speed and brevity (is that even a word?) is, as always, refreshing sonic :wink:

it feels lighter...but i'll have to get some rigid forks for PB use and possibly (certainly!) repaint it.

the crux could be whether i'd get an advantage swapping the shifters/levers/rear mech and cassetee (9 spd deore LX) onto my 2008 hardrock to repalce the stock cheap 8 spd SRAM x4, would wlecome your opinion on this....i reakon if the levers (combined) will work with bb5s its a goer....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The SRAM stuff is a bit clunky and plasticky, no doubt the deore will be better. The levers will work fine.

I think Brevity is a word, but I thought they made sandwich toasters. :wink:
  • tsenior
    cheers sonic......and with that: decision made 8)

wheels to pub bike.

shifters/mech/cassette to main bike (on next drivetrain rebuild), spacer from woolyhatshop.

frame and forks to mate.

now for a toasted sandwhich :lol: