Some advice with a damaged bike

Howski
Howski Posts: 22
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I ordered a bike at Halfords, a Voodoo Bantu. While they did not have one in stock (as expected) they promised to order one in which was described as brand new and still in its box. I went to have a look today after they admitted it was exdispay and there are some scratches. Now there are not really bad scratches in term of size but they are down to the metal (not too muxh of a problem as its alu) and nothing to the running gear

I asked for a discount and they said they would knock £20 off the list price. Now I think thats really under selling it as the 2011 bikes are almost out. How much on a £580 bike which is damaged? I was thinking in the region of 20-25% of the value.

Thanks
-Howard

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For a few scratches, I'd expect just a few quid off and for them to touch up wjhat is visihble. Certainly no more than 10%. They know they can sell this bike anyway.
  • Howski
    mmm ........ well it was bare metal and I don't think they were offering to touch up the paint
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I'd probably tell them to get stuffed and I'll have my money back, but that's me, rather than getting money off ask if they could do better with accessories, like helmet, pump etc..
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Rather than having the £20....ask them for £50 of free gear...they are more likely to go for this....if not walk away £20 is not enough if down to raw alloy...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Ex-display should have more than a 3.33% discount to the price for sure.
  • Howski
    Well I think so. I really don't need more gear as its all migrating across from my current bike over.

I would have thought as its down to the alu its going to make the paint very lkely to get worse right? There is a way for gunk to get in now under the primer layer. As its a nice metallic paint - how much would it be to fix?