Rims: WTB SpeedDisc vs Mavic XM317

Helter
Helter Posts: 137
edited July 2010 in MTB buying advice
Which is better?

I need to change the front hub as the new forks have a Maxle Lite axle. The wheels are only really going to be used to ride through the park and roads on the way to work so am not wanting to spend a fortune. From looking around a new wheel with the Mavic rim comes out at about the same as a rebuilt wheel with the new hub and spokes with the existing WTB rim so it comes down to which rim is better.

Cheers
Charge Duster (RIP)
Ragley mmmBop

Comments

• scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    don't know about the wtb but 317's are good.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    The speeddiscs are decebt rims and on par with the mavic, however if you getting a new complete wheel and the hubs are comparable with what you already have, I would take the new...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Helter
    Helter Posts: 137
    The hubs and spokes would be the same so the difference would be the rim.

The reason I ask is the new wheel's arrived with the Mavic rim and when I put the tyre on (WTB Exiwolf 26x2.1) it went on a bit too easy. The side wall doesn't seem as tall as the WTB, which may cause issues when cornering? Anyone found this to be true?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    As long as the tyre clinches I wouldn't worry..I have a set of Mavic and a set of DT the tyres are allways more difficult on the DT's as the sidewall height appears higher....though when the tyres are seated it's all good.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !