best bike for £1000 for hill climbing

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Rolf F wrote:

I'd disagree totally with that! People say it a lot but it honestly isn't true! The speed increase does offset some of the increased power you gain with practice but after a while you find that many hills that once killed you are barely noticed anymore. OK, a serious climb remains a serious climb but I can tell the difference at the top even if I am suffering on the climb. Nothing like getting to the top of a big climb and immediately feeling ready for the next one. But I do like the climbing.......

Not climbing fast enough then...
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    Climbing hills never gets easier, you only get faster.

Hurts just as much.

Yep - that's what I've found - it still hurts a lot but you seem to go up hill faster and faster over time.

Hills are always a battle - but you learn to enjoy it in a masochistic kind of a way :D
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

I'd disagree totally with that! People say it a lot but it honestly isn't true! The speed increase does offset some of the increased power you gain with practice but after a while you find that many hills that once killed you are barely noticed anymore. OK, a serious climb remains a serious climb but I can tell the difference at the top even if I am suffering on the climb. Nothing like getting to the top of a big climb and immediately feeling ready for the next one. But I do like the climbing.......

Not climbing fast enough then...

Could be right but I don't tend to be overtaken on climbs on Sportives so I can't be going that slowly! Ultimately, if you haven't developed the legs, a fairly short climb will probably be harder for you than a serious climb for an experienced rider.

The two climbs below are a case in point. The smaller one was what I used to face at the end of my commute home from work. At the bottom, after a tough 7 miles along the towpath I stopped for a rest. Then, at the green bit (actually a very steep roundabout) I would dismount for safety reasons (yeah, right!) cross the junction and carry on. I'd count pedal strokes to a hundred and reach the top sweating and dying!
    The other climb is Winnats. I did that on Sunday on the Phil Liggett. I was tough after 60 odd miles including Holme Moss but I got to the top comfortably, later climbed Monsal Head and could have done more after the ride if I had even less sense than I do.

Climbcomparison.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......