Hi this is what I got!

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Just wanted to introduce myself. I have just started road cycling.

I have been a keen MTB'er for several years now both with full sus and hardtail however I decided to give Road cycling a bash.

I will always be up for MTBing but I really want to get into Road bikes. Going to be commuting 10 miles a day and doing a few bike rides at the weekend.

On that note let me introduce my bike. Pictures coming soon:

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/roa ... d-bike.asp

Its a specialized Allez 2007 edition.

One thing I learned from bitter experience of bike buying in the past is that if you are on a tight budget better to go second hand and get a decent brand than go with a cheap new bike, so thats exactly what I did. I got it on ebay for just £250 and its in mint condition.

Thoughts on this bike?

Is it good for upgrades when the time is right?

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    The Spec Allez is a fine 'entry level' bike - sounds like you got a good buy there. :D

IMHO, it would be better to ride it, to see if the bug bites, then sell 'as is' & buy a whole new bike later (poss 2nd hand again) rather than upgrade components.
    Cycling weakly
  • mr_eddy
    Good idea maybe I will give that a go. I dont want to rush into spending lots of cash, I suppose for me just starting wasting money on upgrades would not suit my limited newbie talent. Cheers
  • skyd0g
    Better to invest in a good pair of bibshorts, pedals & shoes rather than 'bling' bits. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • mr_eddy
    I got the shorts and I am currently using some shimano XT SPD pedals with SPD carbon shoes with work well. Is there a major problem in using MTB SPD pedals over Road SPD?
  • skyd0g
    No probs using MTB SPD's.

<caveat> On longer rides, the relatively larger surface area and stiffer shoes means less hotspots on the soles of your feet and better power transfer. Also they're often a few grams lighter.

...they also make you walk like a constipated duck on ice at cafe stops. :wink:
    Cycling weakly