Trek 2nd District obvious upgrades

0x80
0x80 Posts: 7
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

I recently bought a Trek 2nd District for commuting and hobby. I noticed that if I lift the backwheel and spin it, there is quite a bit of resistance. Also the pedals don't spin nearly as free as I would expect on a decent bike. They come to a hold within 1 second.

So my thought is that these 2 things are worth upgrading immediately since they create a constant friction.

What would you advise? Any other district owners who would suggest part upgrades maybe?

The current freewheel is installed on a flip flop hub which I like to keep. I want to install pedals which I can use with normal (non-biking) shoes.

Cheers

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Pedals - Wellego MG1, cause they are light and grippy. - http://www.highonbikes.com/wellgo-mg1-m ... edals.html

Can't help with the wheel though, that might loosen up over time.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • 0x80
    Thanks for the advise.

In my search I've found the White Industries ENO freewheels, which seem to be very nice although a bit expensive. But I've decided that I first need to figure out my preferred gear ratio before replacing the freewheel.

The stock 44-17 setup is too light for me, since there are hardly any hills where I live. Instead of putting in a 15T cog I think I prefer to change the chainwheel to 48T.

I've been searching for a compatible 48T chainwheel, but can't seem to find it. The trek one is mounted with 5 points to the crank.

Any idea where I can find a replacement for this?

If a chainwheel is expensive I might try a fixed gear 15T cog first, since that seems to be a cheap option.

Cheers
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Have you tried this website - http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/ They stock all sort of fixed and single speed bits and pieces.

What freewheel are you using at the moment? I have a Shimano one on my bike, which seems to run quite smoothly and didn't cost a fortune.
  • 0x80
    Yeah mine is the stock Shimano freewheel. It's quiet but not as smooth as I hoped for. Maybe it needs to break in? Anyway I need to figure out my preferred gear ration first so I'm going the fixed route first. I might never need a freewheel after that anymore ;)