172.5 or 175

retrobike007
retrobike007 Posts: 215
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Have bought a halfords road bike and I want to upgrade the front chainrings, as it has a 38/48, and I want 53, the cheapest way seems to be a new chainset. Campag mirage or similar, they all seem to have different arm lengths, whst the difference in the arm lengths?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Have bought a halfords road bike and I want to upgrade the front chainrings, as it has a 38/48, and I want 53, the cheapest way seems to be a new chainset. Campag mirage or similar, they all seem to have different arm lengths, whst the difference in the arm lengths?

Cheapest way mate is to just buy a new chainring. Every LBS or online bike shop sells chainrings on their own.

No need to buy a new chainset
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Depends on the BCD - the current compact will prob be 110mm BCD, a 53 chainring will prob need a 130 BCD.
    Cycling weakly
  • redddraggon
    skyd0g wrote:
    Depends on the BCD - the current compact will prob be 110mm BCD, a 53 chainring will prob need a 130 BCD.

You can get 53t rings in 110mm, 130mm , 135mm and a load of other obscure BCDs so it's not an issue.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • PeeDee
    PeeDee Posts: 88
    You'll need a new chain too since the old one will be too short for your new 53 chainring. Its also worth buying the spanner/tool thingy to fit the recessed bolts holding the chain ring to the arms on the crankset.. You can frig it by tapping them round with a screwdriver, but not very satisfactory really.
  • PeeDee
    BTW cranks usually range from about 160mm to 175mm. Basically, the longer your legs the longer your crank. Having said that, its really down to personal prefernece how long a crank you prefer.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    175 on my road bike
    172.5 on my TT bike.

Cant tell the difference at all tbh!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • retrobike007
    PeeDee wrote:
    BTW cranks usually range from about 160mm to 175mm. Basically, the longer your legs the longer your crank. Having said that, its really down to personal prefernece how long a crank you prefer.

Thats more like the info I was looking for.

i can get a campag mirage for <£30 and the ringa I have been looking at are 110 BCD and they are between £20 - £40 each, plus the campag will be a nice upgrade. New chain is not an issue as I would have to buy one either way.

I do have short legs so I may be better of with the shorter cranks.

The frame is a 50cm, and I was told tonight that my hips are rocking so I still need to drop the seat a bit.
  • PeeDee
    165 used to be pretty standard in the old days. Nowardays the trend is for longer cranks like 170. If you have short legs then go for 165s if they are available, but if they aren't then 170s will work OK. Its only 5mm after all, not worth losing too much sleep over it.

BTW, have you checked that the chainset matches your bottom bracket? e.g. are they both squre taper (or whatever, doesn't matter so long as they are both the same)

You will also need to buy a special tool to remove the crank arms (though maybe you know this already).
  • retrobike007
    PeeDee wrote:
    165 used to be pretty standard in the old days. Nowardays the trend is for longer cranks like 170. If you have short legs then go for 165s if they are available, but if they aren't then 170s will work OK. Its only 5mm after all, not worth losing too much sleep over it.

BTW, have you checked that the chainset matches your bottom bracket? e.g. are they both squre taper (or whatever, doesn't matter so long as they are both the same)

You will also need to buy a special tool to remove the crank arms (though maybe you know this already).

I have the crank puller, and yes they are both square taper. :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I dont think that crank length makes much difference to be honest.

why specifically a 53 chainring though ? what sprockets have you got there ?
  • retrobike007
    25 - 11, my mate is running a 53 and when we get up to 30 mph he starts to leave me behind,
  • redddraggon
    PeeDee wrote:

Thats more like the info I was looking for.

You say you want to upgrade the chainrings and the cheapest way will be to CHANGE THE CHAINRINGS>
    I have the crank puller, and yes they are both square taper. :D

They'll be a different square taper though I expect.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • retrobike007
    Why will the square taper be different, surely they are all the same?

Price for a Campag Mirage chain set is £28 + £7 Postage

Price for a 110 bcd 53 tooth £29.99
    Price for a 110 bcd 39 tooth £29.99

£29.99+£29.99 = more than £35 for the Mirage set. :roll:
  • redddraggon
    JIS and ISO are different Square Tapers.

And you can get chainrings way cheaper than the £60 you say. It'll definitely work out cheaper by the time you factor in the new BB you'll need.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Why will the square taper be different, surely they are all the same?

No.

Price for a Campag Mirage chain set is £28 + £7 Postage

Price for a 110 bcd 53 tooth £29.99
    Price for a 110 bcd 39 tooth £29.99

£29.99+£29.99 = more than £35 for the Mirage set. :roll:

I thought you just wanted to increase the teeth number of the big ring?

£29.99 110bcd 53 ring < £35 Mirage chainset = same outcome.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    The taper will be the same (same angle) but length of tapered section could be different.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Saves a lot of time.
  • retrobike007
    Ben6899 wrote:

Originally yes, but when I saw the full chainset was so cheap I figured I would just change the whole lot.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

Originally yes, but when I saw the full chainset was so cheap I figured I would just change the whole lot.

Fair enough, though I'd still search around for cheaper than £29.99 x 2.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • retrobike007
    110 BCD seems be a weird size, only a few on ebay, and they seem expensive for ebay prices.
  • Weejie54
    110 BCD seems be a weird size, only a few on ebay, and they seem expensive for ebay prices
    Because 53t at 110 BCD makes for a wee bit too much flex. 110 BCD is for MTB or compact chainsets. 53t is obtainable but not so common.
  • redddraggon
    Spa Cycles is the place for chainrings
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • retrobike007
    Still £40 for 1 outer ring.
  • Weejie54
    Cheapest 53t ring on Spa with 110 BCD is the Stronglight Zicral at £30 plus £3 carriage.
    If you don't mind a steel inner ring (and 175mm cranks), you would be better off with the Mirage which Ribble have in stock for £26.45 plus £2.95 carriage (cheaper if you are spending £50 (£22.48 and free carriage) In fact, even cheaper without the Camapagnolo crankbolts £19.45 plus carriage (or £16.53 if you spend £50) - Many would be put off by the steel chainring - and Mirage isn't the cutting edge, finish-wise. You will have the advantage of 135 BCD which would mean a stiffer ring and the option of changing the steel ring at a later date.
  • retrobike007
    I think thats the way to go.

I will go for the mirage, I am sure I can get my order up to £50.

Not sure on the campag range, how does it work? best and worst ?

Is Mirage the bottom of the range?
  • Weejie54
    Mirage is right down there but all Campy stuff works.

Stumbling block may be the BB axle length (Mirage should be 111mm). Watch the chainline - if your current BB is for Shimano your chainset may sit out too far - even if the axle length is right..
  • retrobike007
    Weejie54 wrote:
    Mirage is right down there but all Campy stuff works.

Stumbling block may be the BB axle length (Mirage should be 111mm). Watch the chainline - if your current BB is for Shimano your chainset may sit out too far - even if the axle length is right..

Oh, can this be corrected by adjustment?

or should I be looking at this

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... HIMCHAR460

Instead
  • Weejie54
    The first thing would be to measure the length of your current axle. It might not suit the Tiagra chainset either [it won't - see edit]. Campy chainsets will fit Japanese spindles but don't go on as far as Japanese style (JIS) cranksets. The bigger potential problem is fitting Japanese style cranks to ISO (Campy fit) spindles. They can bottom out (not happened in my experience - but frequent removal and refit can cause it).
    If price is important, you may find it cheaper to go for the Mirage chainset and a new BB to suit it. It's really up to you. The link I gave earlier explains it better:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Edit - The set you linked to is a HollowTech chainset - it would need BB cups too

I didn't look at it closely enough earlier.

It would be quite an upgrade - but a lot more costly.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    25 - 11, my mate is running a 53 and when we get up to 30 mph he starts to leave me behind,
    Pedal faster. :wink:

Best to get a new crankset if it's cheaper, as it seems that your choice of 53T chainrings with a 110BCD is fairly limited.
  • retrobike007
    I think I will go for the tiagra and fit the hollow tech BB, I have the tools, as I have a hollow BB on my MTB

The hollow tech should be lighter and more reliable if the one on my MTB is anything to go by.