Seized barrel adjusters on down tube

peter_andrew
peter_andrew Posts: 373
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Hi
Was replacing gear cables (105 SHIFTERS) and realised barrel adjusters both sides had seized. Burst them trying to remove. Now need to drill/file remnants out. Think will destroy thread doing this.
Please, any suggestions as to what to replace with.

Thanks
Peter

Comments

• stokey1964
    stokey1964 Posts: 454
    This is a twat of a job as you dont have enough room to get a drill in.

Trust me I have the tee shirt.

I tried no end of penetrating oil etc and even stud extractors. I broke the extractor !!!

In the end the only way was to drill them out.

I bought a Quick release drill, ie the one set into an hexagonal base and a small quick release chuck from B&Q. The chuck only had a small diameter of about 2cm and a length of about 6 inches. This enabled the shaft of the chuck to extend beyond the headset and into my normal drill.

Once this was drilled on I retapped it the hard way. Slowly getting the tap square and using a spanner to turn the tap. Once it has started its not as bad as its seems.

The adjuster are an M5 thread by the way
    This one job took me longer in all than building all the bike.

You could do the simple way of using inline cable adjusters but thats too easy

Simon
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    I bought a Quick release drill, ie the one set into an hexagonal base and a small quick release chuck from B&Q. The chuck only had a small diameter of about 2cm and a length of about 6 inches. This enabled the shaft of the chuck to extend beyond the headset and into my normal drill.

You may find that one of these can get in:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Flexib ... B001JDGMGS
  • peter_andrew
    peter_andrew Posts: 373
    You could do the simple way of using inline cable adjusters but thats too easy

That just sounds fine to me :lol:

Thanks

Peter