Arrogant so n' so (Rant)

Noclue
Noclue Posts: 503
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
There is often threads about how rude roadies are to other bike riders and i've often thought, well head down working hard may not have noticed, but today i met what must have been one of the most arrogant persons ever to sit on a bike.
Was heading home from work this morning in south London and was coming down Honour oak road, for those that know it in Forest hill, and a guy pulled out in front of me from a junction, i was heading down hill and had plenty of momentum so sort of zipped past him, but at the bottom of the hill was a red light so i duly stopped. As he approached i saaid a cheery "Morning" and then got a look of complete disdain, he looked me up and down, ignored me and pulled a couple of bike lengths out into the junction, presumably so people wouldn't incorrectly assume we were together.
Maybe it was because i was on a commuterised crosser worth about a quarter of his bike, maybe it was because i had slightly baggy shorts and a rucksack on, or maybe it was because my build is more shrek than schlek, who knows.
So if you were the bloke on a titanium bike who clearly think your better than some of us, have a word with yourself, would it really be so bad as to acknowledge someone just saying "morning", i know you don't have to but if every one was as rude as you then the country would be a (even more) dire place to reside. Oh and i do have a nice carbon road bike as well, and can complete 100 mile sportives so i have a few roadie credentials.

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'd blame the gut and the green complexion...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I was out in Honour Oak - East Dulwich today and, yes, I got blanked by everyone on the road today - and there were a fair few out. Odd, really, because it was really comfortable riding weather - not hot and not windy. So, screw 'em and enjoy your riding!

Talking about Honour Oak, I only discovered yesterday that there was an 18% climb there - Canonbie Road, I think it is. Ok, the 18% section is very short but steep bits are quite hard to find in south-east London.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    There's no explaining some peoples reactions to being passed.

I had the opposite today, just to balance things.

I was out on my road bike and caught up with an MTB rider who was doing a fair speed.
    Let on to him as I passed and he let on back.

I then went first down a fairly steep hill and scared all the sheep out of the way for him :D
    I stopped at the bottom to check my tyre as I'd winged a stone on the way down.
    He duly passed me back and had some jovial banter about me just wanting to pass him again. I did just that up the next hill but still let on as I passed (I was half expecting him to come back past me as it was pretty steep).

No animosity whatsoever, just two cyclists out enjoying the day and their respective modes of transport.

So, even MTB riders can be pleasant :wink:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    I even say hello to people walking their dogs, but I live out in the sticks up north. Mind you they often just look at me with a blank look like "whats that guy on a bike saying hello for?" ha ha! lots say hello back.

some people are just ignorant ********'s
  • Noclue wrote:
    There is often threads about how rude roadies are to other bike riders and i've often thought, well head down working hard may not have noticed, but today i met what must have been one of the most arrogant persons ever to sit on a bike.
    Was heading home from work this morning in south London and was coming down Honour oak road, for those that know it in Forest hill, and a guy pulled out in front of me from a junction, i was heading down hill and had plenty of momentum so sort of zipped past him, but at the bottom of the hill was a red light so i duly stopped. As he approached i saaid a cheery "Morning" and then got a look of complete disdain, he looked me up and down, ignored me and pulled a couple of bike lengths out into the junction, presumably so people wouldn't incorrectly assume we were together.
    Maybe it was because i was on a commuterised crosser worth about a quarter of his bike, maybe it was because i had slightly baggy shorts and a rucksack on, or maybe it was because my build is more shrek than schlek, who knows.
    So if you were the bloke on a titanium bike who clearly think your better than some of us, have a word with yourself, would it really be so bad as to acknowledge someone just saying "morning", i know you don't have to but if every one was as rude as you then the country would be a (even more) dire place to reside. Oh and i do have a nice carbon road bike as well, and can complete 100 mile sportives so i have a few roadie credentials.

Why are the so many people on this forum who assume that they are being looked down on because of their gear?

Maybe he just really needed a shit, or had just come home the night before to find his missus in bed with a hipster commuter type. Maybe he always has a face like that.

Not saying he isnt a bellend but i have noticed people really seem to have issues about Bike gear.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No point moaning about it here matey, you should've let him go then reeled his ass in, zipped past him whilst having a drink and then gave him the looktm. If he said anything I'd start talking Italian like Peter from Family Guy. :D:wink:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    dmclite wrote:
    No point moaning about it here matey, you should've let him go then reeled his ass in, zipped past him whilst having a drink and then gave him the looktm. If he said anything I'd start talking Italian like Peter from Family Guy. :D:wink:

I love doing that... flying by someone while having a drink! "Morning."
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Noclue, the bloke is in all likelihood an ignorant condecending tw@t whether he's on his bike or not. Don't let it bother you.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Anonymous
    Noclue, the bloke is in all likelihood an ignorant condecending tw@t whether he's on his bike or not. Don't let it bother you.

I didn't know teagar had moved to london. :D
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    dmclite wrote:

I didn't know teagar had moved to london. :D

:lol::lol::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503

Talking about Honour Oak, I only discovered yesterday that there was an 18% climb there - Canonbie Road, I think it is. Ok, the 18% section is very short but steep bits are quite hard to find in south-east London.

I had just come up Canonbie road, always do it as part of my commute, short steep side on the way to work and then long and not quite as steep side on the way home, only decent hill on an other wise flat run (Croydon to Peckham).
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    More Shrek than Schlek - love it :lol:
  • Must be a southern thing..bein' up ya own arse
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    A couple of weeks commuting in london were amazing to me having been in th sticks for 30 years. Most people I spoke to at traffic lights seemed terrified that a stranger had so much as looked at them. One exception who actually exchanged some civil words turned out to be a famous ballerina. I thoght at the time that might have been significant. The more status you have the less you have to pretend to be superior.

terryj
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Anonymous
    Maybe the reason he moved a bit in front is because he hadn't shaved his skinny chicken legs that morning and was worried you might spot a bit of stubble?
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Had a nice easy ride up around Turton/Bury yesterday and bumped into a MTBer. We chatted on the way down the hill and he was explaining he was messing with his GPS system for a three peaks walk (or something, I forget, I was sweaty and smelly!). We parted and then I bumped into him again on the way back home - really nice fella!

One of the reasons I love cycling is the openess about it all. In a car you can't really chat with another driver at the lights. As a cyclist you can pull up next to someone and have a little chinwag - the times I've tried to speak to someone and recieved a blank expression has been quite frequent.

I have noticed that I will be ignored or barely glanced at when I'm in my baggies and not the lycra. I really don't understand the mentality of people who create a mental divide in a sport where we should all be as one. We all have the same trouble with drivers, pot holes, punctures, etc etc; yet we split ourselves up over petty bullsh*t such as clothing and what type of tyres we push.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Hey I had the whole of West Kent Road Club blank me yesterday as I passed the opposite way. Strange as I'd passed a few of them earlier on the ride on a climb and they gave a cheery 'morning'.

Really don't take it personally.

I am all the gear and I don't care what your riding or kit I'll always acknowledge. Really does not bother me if the other person doesn't in return.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I think you broke the cardinal rule of life in London, you SPOKE to someone... Never, ever make eye contact with ANYONE, let alone speak to them. You new round these parts or what?

BTW, it's Honor Oak not Honour Oak, for some reason the area uses the US spelling...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Noclue wrote:

Perhaps he noticed Harry Ramsden's on your shoulder and decided it wasn't worth saying hello
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    I was out a couple of weeks back and saw a fellow club member (who happened to be wearing other kit) coming towards me and because he had his head down I wasn't sure who it was and so it wasn't until he passed me that I realised it was a club member and so didn't get time to greet him. Nothing sinister intended, just me totally out of breath on an uphill and him doing quite the opposite.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • I wouldn't get too bothered about being 'blanked' or whatever by other riders, or people in general come to think of it... could be a number of perfectly good reasons

Some will be so focused on their riding that they don't notice you.
    Some will be so absorbed in their thoughts they'll be unintentionally oblivious.
    Some people will have had a bad morning, or are stressed, or whatever.
    And unfortunately, some people are just plain rude...

Plenty of times I've completely 'ignored' people I know cos I've been so focused on riding, or thinking about something...

Although on the occasions I visit London, I have noticed how surprised and taken aback people are when you just say a friendly 'hello' or something. Strange really. :-)
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    You write all that to cover up the fact that you'd dropped oned :mrgreen: at the lights.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I wouldn't get too bothered about being 'blanked' or whatever by other riders, or people in general come to think of it... could be a number of perfectly good reasons

Some will be so focused on their riding that they don't notice you.
    Some will be so absorbed in their thoughts they'll be unintentionally oblivious.
    Some people will have had a bad morning, or are stressed, or whatever.
    And unfortunately, some people are just plain rude...

Plenty of times I've completely 'ignored' people I know cos I've been so focused on riding, or thinking about something...

Although on the occasions I visit London, I have noticed how surprised and taken aback people are when you just say a friendly 'hello' or something. Strange really. :-)

At rush hour and on busy roads there are way to many cyclists on London's roads to say hello to each and every one. On some roads on my commute cyclists outnumber motorists. You end up waiting at red lights with literally 20-30 other cyclists bunched in the ASL (with marauding motorbikes and mopeds).
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I was out on Saturday morning around the local lanes - been out for 3 hours with a mate who's recovering from a heel spur op, so was taking it easy. Swung around to take a ride through the villages home and a guy 'tooled-up' on his Specialized with matching kit and Mavic Carbones comes past. I quickly caught up with him as he was heading my way - pulled alongside and gave him a greeting - he looked me up and down, sort of sneered and just blanked me. I shrugged - I was wearing my vet team team kit, but had neglected to shave down as haven't been racing much due to other commitments. I guess he just though I was an older, unfit rider? Dropped back & looked at his 'soft' legs - not much muscle definition going on there then?
    Road rises slightly for the next 400m - so gave it a bit of a dig, he tried to follow but couldn't and was soon a bit behind and clearly struggling - I had to give way at the next junction and he caught up - I turned to go up the next road - hill is longer and slightly steeper - he tried to jump first but I gave it full gas and he was a dot! The moral of this story is, if you're gonna ride around and blank other riders, don't expect much reverence and you're likely to get your butt kicked down the road!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Bunneh wrote:
    Had a nice easy ride up around Turton/Bury yesterday and bumped into a MTBer. We chatted on the way down the hill and he was explaining he was messing with his GPS system for a three peaks walk (or something, I forget, I was sweaty and smelly!). We parted and then I bumped into him again on the way back home - really nice fella!

One of the reasons I love cycling is the openess about it all. In a car you can't really chat with another driver at the lights. As a cyclist you can pull up next to someone and have a little chinwag - the times I've tried to speak to someone and recieved a blank expression has been quite frequent.

I have noticed that I will be ignored or barely glanced at when I'm in my baggies and not the lycra. I really don't understand the mentality of people who create a mental divide in a sport where we should all be as one. We all have the same trouble with drivers, pot holes, punctures, etc etc; yet we split ourselves up over petty bullsh*t such as clothing and what type of tyres we push.

Oldham is quite chatty for non lycra types too, the best you can hope for from the featherlite brigade is an INR if you're lucky.

whilst we're on the apartheid schtick - any of us talk to BMX'ers or yoofs?
  • Bunneh
    I'll 'nod' at BMXers and if I see a 'yoof' on a bike riding about my routes I'll nod. I tend to ignore them in groups on the pavement because 9 times out of 10 they're about to start screaming abuse at me or ready to jump out and go 'mhgsfhjgas' in my face. If I pass one on the road I'll say 'ow do' as I go past; some words of encouragement and carry on my way.

I did park up next to two guys on their sheds and tried to start up a convesation but they looked at me as though I was crazy. it was an enforced stop when the chain leaped off my chainset because I bunnyhopped over some shit on the road :roll:

Is it wrong that I look at their bike and think 'wonder if they stole that?'? :roll:
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    nice one Monty Dog ! - I enjoyed reading that :) I usually try and say hello when I am out 'n about , even when I'm with the training group on our clubrun, providing I'm not breathing through my ears at the time ... I will say hello to mtb 'ers and even old dears on their shopping bikes if I see them out in the lanes- don't usually bother just going around S London though...
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    Must be a southern thing..bein' up ya own ars*

Nah - plenty rude boys here in Weegie-Land as well! :lol:

Get blanked every other morning on the commute by a chap on a fixie - I look straight at him, give a cheerful "morning" at which point he looks me up and down a bit then looks away. It occurred to me he might not hail from this sceptred isle, so for a bit of fun I've tried "morning" in French, German, Spanish, Italian, Turkish, Russian and 'Strine on various mornings - it's all been a bit of a laff (for me anyway), same response as always. :D:D:D:D

He probably just thinks I'm off my head :lol:

Having said that, all the other roadies I've encountered around Glasgow have been unfailingly polite.

Maybe I should get one of those car-type "my other bike is a......roadie" stickers for the hybrid?
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i may get one of those 'do not disturbe' type stickers.
  • Bunneh
    That's just make me want to disturb you more :D