Bike after the crash.

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Hi.

Thanks very much for the offer, but I'm not in Manchester until the start of October, and I'm looking for a 54cm frame now.

Thanks.
  • Cupotea
    Cupotea Posts: 42
    How tall are you? I reckon 6'1" would be perfect.
  • freehub
    I'm like 5ft 10.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I'm same height, and my 54cm CAAD9 is the right size for me.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • freehub
    I might go bike shop tomoz and ask em if they can determine what size bike is right for me.

A question about the CAAD9 frame, should I just take it down the scrap yard?
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    put it on your wall as a reminder!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • freehub
    You reckon a silver CAAD9 frame would make a good wall ornament?
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Put it on eBay as spares or repair. Some mug/dude/eedyut will buy it.
  • freehub
    How much would I put the frame on for?
  • Weejie54
    Start it low - a couple of quid or so - but put £12-15 carriage with option to collect.

You'll make more than you would taking it to the dump.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Weejie54 wrote:
    Start it low - a couple of quid or so - but put £12-15 carriage with option to collect.

You'll make more than you would taking it to the dump.

Your better than that Will. Don't put a dodgy frame on Ebay for the sake of a few quid. Someone will buy it and will do a bodged repair and sell it on to some mug, who then crashes...

Sorry about your bike, but at least you're ok.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Weejie54
    edited July 2010
    Your better than that Will. Don't put a dodgy frame on Ebay for the sake of a few quid. Someone will buy it and will do a bodged repair and sell it on to some mug, who then crashes...

Rather presumptuous. Someone might even do that if it was put on a council tip.
    It may be of use to someone less criminally minded. If it was sold under the understanding that it had been crashed, there is nothing to be ashamed of.
    The forks may well be fine.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Cupotea wrote:
    Hey Will, long time forum lurker but this has prompted me to post.

I have a Felt Z65 56cm frame (alu main with carbon back end) and carbon fork sat here with less than a hundred miles on it. I changed it shortly after buying due to it being slightly too small (I'm 6'3") but it's a lovely frame. I also have spare bars and stem.

If it helps you get back on the road then I'm not really looking for more than a few pints in payment. Give me a PM if you want and we'll see what we can sort out.

I'm based in Northwich so not far from you at all.

Apologies on two fronts, thread hijack and mercenary behaviour! :oops:

However, Cupotea, you're probably being altruistic towards the OP due to the nature of his bikes demise, however, if you are keen to sell the frame to somebody else I could be very interested. I am looking to do a bike build on a fairly tight budget and at 6'1" the size of yours sounds perfect. If you want to see it go to a caring home it could be a win win.

Apologies again for poor taste in jumping in.
  • freehub
    th_DSC00250-1.jpg
    th_DSC00249-1.jpg

Stripped it down.

You can see clearly the bend, the bit near the seat tube looks like it's being crushed (the chainstay on the right)

I thought they must have got bent by me falling down and the back wheel slamming the floor and bending it, but that would mean they would have bent the opposite way I fell, but they have bent in the same direction I fell, looks like someone fell on it, stood on it or something and bent it.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Are you sure that dent is not meant to be there to clear the chainset. To do that damage you would have to have damaged the rings very badly as well as they go between the stay and anything that would hit it.
    Get it checked by a good mechanic. I have not been there for several years but the lads in York Cycleworks were very good. You could be worrying about nothing (well with the frame anyway). The top tube dent is nothing.
  • freehub
    The dents are there to clear the chainset, but the dents where not that shaped.

Look at the difference in thickness from both chainstays.
  • John.T
    freehub wrote:
    The dents are there to clear the chainset, but the dents where not that shaped.
    Look at the difference in thickness from both chainstays.
    Yes. Because you do not have to have clearance for the rings on the non drive side. If the accident had put that dent on the outside of the drive side stay it would have wrecked the chainset as well. I am not saying that the back end is not out of true, just that the damage is not likely to be there. The frame need to go on a jig. If it checks out OK then keep riding it. If not then bin it. Just don't pi$$ about. Ask someone who can give you a definate answer based on inspecting the frame. No one on here can do that based on photos.
  • freehub
    I'm not pissing about, placing a perfectly true wheel in it shows that it is bent.

I can see myself from the pic, the right chainstay looks squashed, it deffo used to be thicker than that. It's obviously being distorted when it was bent. God knows how it happened tho.

I just thought I'd show the pics, it's being confirmed a write off.
  • Weejie54
    Invest in a ball of string and a ruler, then try Sheldon's method at the bottom of this page:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

It will give you a pretty good idea.

Hey....my chainstays are bent too!

v-hetchins6.jpg
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    he doesnt need to pi$$ about with string, it can be seen in the pictures its well bent. someone must have dropped on it, unless the bike went endover end.
  • Weejie54
    he doesnt need to pi$$ about with string, it can be seen in the pictures its well bent. someone must have dropped on it, unless the bike went endover end.
    Thank you for your precise analysis. I think the argument was that the 'bent' bit is the scalloping to allow room for the chainrings (and how that could have been "well bent" without the chainrings being "well bent" too is a bit of a mystery). This appears to be in dispute, which is why I suggested measuring it up." Well bent" might end up being, say 10mm out of alignment on the drive side, or not "well bent" at all, or, indeed being "well bent".

Is "endover" near Andover?

PS - is this frame "well bent" or just not very "well bent"?

caad9-alphaq6.jpg
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    it would be a mystery if the recess had been caused as a dent the chainrings may be bent, but a thin tube can and will buckle inwards through a bending force applied else where, eg the dropouts. it looks like it has folded there because of the tube profile as a result of a large sideways force anywhere along the rear triangle.
    i dont know about that one, because of the pov of the photograph and severity of any possible bend, it could be straight as i suspect or slightly well bent. what was the outcome?
  • freehub
    The indent on the tube so the chainset clears it on my frame also has a vertical line in the middle, a crease line.

When placing a PERFECTLY true wheel into the dropouts, the wheel does not move due to being pressed against the right chainstay.
  • John.T
    freehub wrote:
    The indent on the tube so the chainset clears it on my frame also has a vertical line in the middle, a crease line.
    When placing a PERFECTLY true wheel into the dropouts, the wheel does not move due to being pressed against the right chainstay.
    Now we are getting a bit more information to work with I would suggest that the entire rear triangle is bent towards the drive side. But that 'dent' in the chain stay is not an impact one, mearly the weakest point in the stay, hence the crease.
    Anyway as I said earlier if it is out of true then bin it.
  • Weejie54
    it would be a mystery if the recess had been caused as a dent the chainrings may be bent, but a thin tube can and will buckle inwards through a bending force applied else where, eg the dropouts. it looks like it has folded there because of the tube profile as a result of a large sideways force anywhere along the rear triangle.
    i dont know about that one, because of the pov of the photograph and severity of any possible bend, it could be straight as i suspect or slightly well bent. what was the outcome?
    The picture that I posted was of a perfectly good frame - from a website extolling the virtues of the CAAD 9.
    http://www.supercoolbikeshop.com/tag/accessories/

Perhaps you can now appreciate how difficult it is to judge such things from photographs.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    freehub wrote:

.99p
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    I would angle grind it in four pieces and straight into the wheely bin- no worries or messing about, and then ready for a new fresh start!
  • Weejie54

If the wheel is pushing on the right chainstay, this would suggest that the triangle is twisted to the left. Bear in mind that when a wheel is mounted in the dropouts it is strengthening the rear triangle. The wheel would also act as a lever in an impact and the fulcrum would be the dropouts. I would suggest that the dropouts are twisted to the left.
    It wouldn't take much to cause the wheel to rub in the chainstay.
    markmod wrote:
    I would angle grind it in four pieces and straight into the wheely bin- no worries or messing about, and then ready for a new fresh start!

When there is a TIG welder interested in it?
    hairyleg wrote:
    Hi,What you doing with the frame am a TIG welder and need a frame to play with.Love c'dales had a Caad 6 for 7yrs great bikes.HL
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9&start=60

That would be bloody-minded.
  • freehub
    Should I let the TIG welder have it?

Just seems hard to let the broken frame go, all those 14 months I've slaved over it keeping it clean, tweaking it, riding it, it's had some work go into it, and then it's wrote off.

I guess at least it was rode to destruction rather than being hit by a car or just fell apart against a wall.
  • Weejie54
    Should I let the TIG welder have it?

If it's a choice between that and putting it to the scrappie/council dump, I would say yes.