DOT 4 Brake Fluid

heavy_rat
heavy_rat Posts: 264
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
This stuff from Halfords is about 4 times cheaper than the DOT 4 stuff from bike shops:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165750

Is it the same? Is the stuff from bike shops any different or just a rip off?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DOT 4 is DOT 4.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    thanks that was what i expected.

its mad how bike shops charge so much for something that is half the price in car shops. :evil:
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    I don't understand why bike specific fluid is so expensive. Do the just prey on people's ignorance, thinking they need bike branded products?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    alexj2233 wrote:
    I don't understand why bike specific fluid is so expensive. Do the just prey on people's ignorance, thinking they need bike branded products?
    Yep.
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    And a bottle with a pretty label....

The only possible good reason to buy a small bottle of bike brake fluid is that you may never get through a big bottle! (unless you have a car too!)
    Or to reduce the risk of contamination as you are always told with cars to be cautious once the bottle is open as any contamination may cause to brake failure....... :shock:
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    alexj2233 wrote:

Oh hell yes :lol:

You do actually get slight differences between different dot 4s- different endurance, and different dry and wet boiling points. But it's nothing you're ever likely to know about on a bike, and there's no guarantee that the expensive bike stuff is any better than the cheap halfords stuff in the black bottle.
    Uncompromising extremist