Toes touching front wheel???

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited February 2011 in Workshop
Hi there

I have just bought a new bike (kuota) and when clipped in my toes (when pedals are level and parallel to the ground) brush and could obstruct the wheel when turning sharply... I am positive I never had this problem with my old Giant bike, and I cant really push my shoe clips back that much more... and I don't really see how this can be rectified... Should this be the case????

I need to stress that this sin only when the wheel is turned to a point where it could pass by the toes...

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    It's pretty normal. Don't turn the wheel sharply with your cranks level and you'll be fine.
  • alpineaddict
    alpineaddict Posts: 247
    :lol: Thx... I figured I shouldn't do that :D
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    will3 wrote:
    It's pretty normal. Don't turn the wheel sharply with your cranks level and you'll be fine.

+1 - this old chesnut is never a problem in reality.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    ^ Unless there is significant overlap and you frequently ride in dense innercity traffic, in which case it can be a PITA.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    As others have said toe overlap isn't uncommon.

I've never found it to be a problem except manouvering around traffic at <5mph, you just don't turn the bars far enough at normal riding speeds.
  • satanas
    If you ride in stopped traffic in the city or on cyclepaths much then very tight low speed turns and trackstands are not necessarily uncommon. In this case significant overlap (~1cm) can be very annoying!!! If all one's riding is on the open road, no worries. (If only.)

Some people care, some people don't. End of story.
  • Jaeger
    Jaeger Posts: 439
    satanas wrote:
    ^ Unless there is significant overlap and you frequently ride in dense innercity traffic, in which case it can be a PITA.
    Especially on a fixed!
  • satanas
    Agreed!
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    I also bought a kuota and have toe overlap but as others have said it isn't an issue.

It only becomes apparent when stationary and turn the wheel sharply to get out from a tight spot, and after noticing you name i can vouch for the fact that it wasn't an issue when descending Alpe du'Huez last week :twisted:
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    I had thought this was only normally an issue with smallish frames, but I test road a Wilier L size last week and had toe overlap. I don't have big feet (45) but I was wearing mtb shoes and overshoes.

Anyone else had this with Wilier?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    This was never a problem when I was a yoof, but it's virtually mandatory these days. Wheelbases have become shorter as the manufacturers push out racier, compact frames.

I'm afraid you'll either have to file your toes down or consider getting a Brompton.
  • Toeclip overlap is a 'given' in the smaller frame sizes, and this is especially the case with Far East frames like those from Kuota. If you like, frame designers have only one design and downsize it, not always appreciating that the smaller sizes come with overlap.

You have two choices. No. 1, you can live with it. No. 2, you can do what quite a few smaller sized Pro's will do and have an 'oversized' frame - the first frame in the range which doesn't give overlap. You can spot these guys - the small guys with unusually short stems.
  • You could put a smaller wheel on the front or if you don't fancy that idea just try remember not to cycle barefoot :lol:
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • It becomes even worse when you put mudguards on for winter :cry:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4