Second step road bike - i.e. after being a beginner?

Basil Hume
Basil Hume Posts: 54
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
I've been a mountain bike and touring rider for many years, but bought a Trek 1.1 as my first road bike a few months ago.

I wanted to try a road bike without the risk of an expensive mistake if I bought an expensive one - but now of course I'm hooked and I'm thinking of buying a more expensive one! :lol:

What would be a good price range to look at next? I'll be using the bike for fair-weather commuting, weekend short blasts and occasional longer touring rides.

My budget is flexible, but I expect I'd be fine on an alloy rather than carbon frame.
Cotic Soul - Fox 32 RLC forks, XTR go, XT stop, Hope / DT wheels, Thomson / Easton / Hope finishing

Cotic >X< - 105 and SLX go, Avid stop, XT / Mavic disc wheels and Easton finishing

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I just posted a reply on the duplicate thread that was deleted! Yes, £1k is highly-competitive and includes a number of full-carbon frames from the likes of Boardman, Planet-X and Ribble. For alloy-fans, theres also the Cannondale Caad9. However, your decision should be made in terms of your riding style / weight/fitness and what geometry fits you best.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    For alloy-fans, theres also the Cannondale Caad9.

Yep, one of those with Shimano 105 groupset. Should be just over a grand. I have the older CAAD5 with 105 and may well upgrade. Best alloy frame on the market bar none (that I've seen anyway).
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • datpat64
    datpat64 Posts: 85
    mate for a grand you can get the Boardman.....SRAM and Carbon Frame, blimey charlie you'll struggle to get better methinks

However, good point well argued in earlier thread in that it doies depend what type of frame, size, fitness and riding style you have

Try and test ride (not always easy from Halfords) but a grand should get you a great bike. just as an aside, make sure of a couple of things before parting with your money:

1. Do you need a compact chainset for types of terrain in your area ?
    2. Make sure your crank length is right for you as even 20 mm out might not "feel" right

I've a couple of bikes and I've just changed chainsets giving my "best bike" a compact chainset with a slightly smaller crank length. result feels like I've got a new bike, quicker up climbs and just more comfortable
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    what do you want the bike for?

do you want to ride for longer, or faster, or race, or...?

knowing that information might direct you toward a particular geometry, and to some extent material.

also - are you likely to come back wanting a 2k bike in a couple of years or do you think this will be a bike you keep for a while? if you think that then perhaps consider spending (relatively) more on the frame and less on stuff you can upgrade in the future (wheels, gruppo etc).