Shimano XT M760 Hollowtech II Chainset chainring replacement

jason23
jason23 Posts: 71
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Folks,

A few questions for the mechanics among you please.
How do you check chainrings for wear and ascertain when its time to replace?
I know the drill for chain wear.
Can these rings be replaced?
Can anyone recommend good rings to purchase?

Any tips appreciated.

thx
: )
Jason

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    jason23 wrote:
    Hi Folks,

A few questions for the mechanics among you please.
    How do you check chainrings for wear and ascertain when its time to replace?
    I know the drill for chain wear.
    Can these rings be replaced?
    Can anyone recommend good rings to purchase?

Any tips appreciated.

thx
    : )
    Jason

It can be hard to tell if the rings are worn because of all the funny angles and ramps that are machined into the teeth. If the teeth are looking like this its well gone past its sell by datesharktoothchainring.jpg

Yes you can replace the rings you need 4 bolt 104 BCD chain rings.

Any Shimano 4 bolt rings will fit. If your a bit skint or dont care about weight or looks use the Deore steel rings they are heavier than XT but last well and shift just as well.

Middleburn rings have a good reputation for long life if you get the expensive hard coat versions but in my experience the changing isnt as good as Shimano.

RaceFace Race rings are very good and I am using a set on my hardtail at the moment the big ring looks brand new after nearly a year, the middle has lost the anodising off the teeth but still has loads of life left.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • jason23
    jason23 Posts: 71
    thanks for the imformative post mate, that covers everything : )

realised my cassette and chain were needing replaced last week but kept putting off, chain snapped today powering up a short v steep climb, nasty. The horror of snapping a chain in the middle of a great riding day when the sun is out : (
    My mate pushed me home ,lol.

I will carry a chain tool from now on!

off to search for chairings : )