Bike wall mounts (via the top tube)

johncrossley
johncrossley Posts: 8
edited July 2010 in Workshop
Hi there,

I'm looking to hang up on the wall my new Boardman Team Carbon (on order) bike in the hall high up by it's top tube.

It's quite a minefield out there. Does anyone have any recommendations for a wall mount? Bonus features would be hooks where I can hang things up to let them dry (like socks/helmet).

Thanks,

John

I'm drawn towards: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fis ... t-ec005530

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Tubes, particularly carbon fibre ones are not made to take much weight in that way. I would not hang any bike on one of those unless the arms could be adjusted so the hooks took the weight at the seat tube and head tube junctions.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Always better hanging it upside down by the wheels IMO.
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Tubes, particularly carbon fibre ones are not made to take much weight in that way. I would not hang any bike on one of those unless the arms could be adjusted so the hooks took the weight at the seat tube and head tube junctions.

Come off it. You can sit on your top tube and not break it. By that logic you should never hang a bike by its wheel because of all the horrific strain you put through the steerer tube and head tube.

OP I guess this is what you are after.
    80955_bike_hanger_6pack.jpg

Hang em' high.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750

Strange looking drop bars those.....
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Limburger wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Come off it. You can sit on your top tube and not break it. By that logic you should never hang a bike by its wheel because of all the horrific strain you put through the steerer tube and head tube.

Hang em' high.
    You can sit on your top tube for as long as you want, I wouldn't sit on mine unless it was made of a non lightweight steel.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Limburger wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Hang em' high.
    You can sit on your top tube for as long as you want, I wouldn't sit on mine unless it was made of a non lightweight steel.

Unless your bike is made out of wet paper doilies this is complete nonsense. Are you telling me that you never even pick your bike up by the top tube?

Anyway.

To the OP: the Fisher bracket looks good. Don't think you'll get much better than that. There are lots of hooks in B&Q too.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40531/Iro ... Black-Pk6#

these are a set of 3 pairs of L/M/S alloy hooks - i got a set to hang 2 fames by the top tubes and the S for 2 frames by the head tubes.
    I have some dead inner tubes to use to slide over the hook to preserve the paint/carbon...
  • I purchased racks from these people - they have proven to be really good to mount 3 bikes on a wall http://www.tuskstore.com/index.php?cPath=22
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Smokin Joe wrote:

More carbon paranoia.