Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

What adaptors do i need to fit bigger discs?

ryan1702ryan1702 Posts: 40
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I own a carrera kraken 09 and the standard discs are a bit small and would like to get some bigger ones. I know i need adaptors but dont know which ones i need. The forks are suntour xcr's. i would like to fit 203mm on the rear and 185mm on the front. The calipers are tektro aurigra comps. [/img]
I thought a thought that I thought I had thought but the thought that I had thought wasn't the thought that I had thought I had thought so maybe if I had thought the thought that I thought I thought I wouldn't of thought so much!

• what size are they? and why?!

203 mm will be overkill for trail riding.

185/185 is a good setup if your heavy like me... around 16st.

185/160 is fine!
  • ryan1702ryan1702 Posts: 40
    at the moment they are 160 all round and i know the bike isn't meant to be used for DH but i occasionally use it for this and the 203mm seems like it would be better for this purpose. Can u tell me what adaptors i would need or how to tell the difference between the mount types?
    I thought a thought that I thought I had thought but the thought that I had thought wasn't the thought that I had thought I had thought so maybe if I had thought the thought that I thought I thought I wouldn't of thought so much!
  • Proper DH?

the bike isn't designed for that type of abuse. is your fork compatible/warranted/strong enough for 203 mm?

TECH_Disk_tab_type.jpg
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Got to CRC and look at the adaptors - it lists all the types, and you can easily work out what you need. The descriptions are straightforward.

How much do you weigh?

And I don't think the fork, or frame can take or is designed for a 203mm rotor.
  • MynameisdannMynameisdann Posts: 665
    wouldnt the brakes be the least of your worries if you intend on using that DH
    its not 'proper DH' but the occasional dh trail and rarely jumps. The 203mm was for the rear. Thx for the pics, its the IS. Much appreciated. How do i find out if the fork supports 185mm or should that just be alrite anyway
  • you dont need a big disk at the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

front brake = slow down

rear brake = steering

you'll just skid and lose cotrol!
    i weigh 12 stone
    It says on the SR website.

The fork cannot take more than 185mm. Nobody runs larger rear rotors than fronts though,as most braking is done on the front.

I would use 185 front and rear, as 203mm is just too much really for a frame like this and will feel a lot different from the front. Plus you risk damaging the frame.
    what would you say the best setup for my bike would be?
  • as ss says, 185 all round.
    How much do you weigh? Are brakes not stopping you? Cannot you not lock them up with control?
  • ryan1702 wrote:
    i weigh 12 stone

:)
    the back one loks up but the front is a bit weak and is not even powerful enough to endo
    I would at the most use 185mm front, 160mm rear.
    you sed 185 all round b4, wud tht b better or the 160 rear
    I would use 185 front and rear
    I meant at the most for what the frame could handle, but given you are a lightweight, then 160mm at the back should be perfect for a bike like this.
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I weigh 12 stone and 185mm front 160mm rear is fine for me.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I weigh 14 stone and 183mm and 160mm is fine for me
    what adaptor will i need to fit my calipers
    Look on CRC, hey have all the adaptors you could ever want - just ,match to what you have and what you disk you want to fit.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... goryID=563

Your frame is IS. Your calipers are PM. I think the fork is IS, but take a look as in that diagram.
    post to IS then
    will any brand fit or do i need a certain make
    Most brands fit fine, except with a few rare caliper fork combos. You should be fine.

You can get Tektro ones anyway, the the Avid and Shimano will do.