Petacchi

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Can he win the green jersey? Is he even interested? It's quite hard to believe this was his first Tour win for 7 years. He's won the points jersey in the Giro and the Vuelta before... different, I know, but it's arguably harder to win in those races because the points are not stacked in favour of the flat stages like they are in the Tour.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    Can he win the green jersey? Is he even interested? It's quite hard to believe this was his first Tour win for 7 years. He's won the points jersey in the Giro and the Vuelta before... different, I know, but it's arguably harder to win in those races because the points are not stacked in favour of the flat stages like they are in the Tour.

The Giro was very much stacked in favour of the sprinters when he was winning the points jersey (11 sprint finishes in 2004). It's strange how such courses happen to come around when Italy have the best sprinter.

As for him winning it at the Tour. Why not? He's shown he can out-sprint Hushovd at least at the moment, and he's got the lead. And Lampre haven't got much else to do.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Fair point about the course design. That helps.

Looking at his record in the Tour, it's strangely lacking for one of the decade's best sprinters. Only finished one race, in 2001, and only really had one good year - he won 4 stages before climbing off on stage 7 in 2003.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Peta? No waaaay!

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I really did a great sprint, and quite frankly, I'm not at all sure that Cavendish could have beaten me today, because I was very, very quick

At home, my Mamma Gaudilla turns off the tv in the last kilometers, and then turns it on again after the sprint. She's afraid like me

More classic quotes:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4764/ ... -more.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    He's a good rider. I remeber him riding a lovely De Rosa King RS in the Giro!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    4201_739490817362_5140264_44074885_.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The man with the biggest lungs in cycling. Or at least that's what the Salbutamol levels suggest when he was banned for overusing asthma medication.