Sheered M6 Bolt in Hope Hed Doctor

T1berious
T1berious Posts: 438
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Ever wish you hadn't noticed a bit of play in a Headset? I was just checking my partners bike yesterday after a ride at Cannock and noticed a bit of play in the Headset. so I unscrewed the stem bolts and started to loosen the top cap and the bolt just came apart.

Here's some pics:

HopeBoltsml.jpgHopeHDsml.jpg

We're supposed to be riding later and I've no idea how to get this fixed quickly. I had hoped there was enough gap to loosen the HED Doctor while the bolt was in place (not sure if that would work anyway) but there isn't.

Any advice greatly appreciated. And a SFN is an option but I'm pretty crap at installing them. tried, failed, got the HD.

Thanks,

T1b

Comments

• richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    I would have thought the ally bolt will be seazed in the head doctor so i doubt you would unscrew the thread out.

The only option is to get a drill bit slightly smaller than the bolt (4mm) center dot the middle of the bolt and then drill down the bolt, then flick out the remains of the bolt and then remove the head doctor with allen key.
  • T1berious
    Bugger, I was hoping to avoid drilling but hey with any luck that won't destroy the thread. Hmmm, now I wish I bought a Star Fangled Installer Punch :(
  • richg1979
    6mm bolt and a hammer works a treat.
  • T1berious
    See, I'd be freaking out about the centering, last time I tried that (no 6mm Bolt agreed) the SFN ended up in a neighbours garden :).
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    I fitted a SFN with a 6mm bolt and a hammer yesterday.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just drill it out and it will screw through and out from the bottom.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • T1berious
    I might try drilling it out again as my attempts were a bit rubbish :(, what do you use to centre the drill? Or have I just got crap drilling skills? I can safely say that the HD is beyond use but it's still in there :(

T1b
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    when you have removed the bolt you can just undo the hed doc, unless you have been using poor drills and slipped all over the place. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • T1berious
    Yeah, that pretty much described what happened. Drill went left then right then up and has given me a distinct swirlly pattern were the bolt was.

I guess I just use a bit and try again? Sounds better than turning it upside down and trying to bash it out :(

T1b
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Drilling size for M6 taps is 5mm. If you use a 5mm drill, the threads will centre it for you. You then have a choice, confident in your ability to hold the drill correctly, drill straight through... Not so confident? Well, just dimple the top with the 5mm drill and then use a smaller one, the dimple will be in the centre.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • richg1979
    the nut and thread is ally so the threads wont guide the drill bit and good luck chasing a ally thread.
  • T1berious
    All sorted, managed to drill the M6 Bolt out nad release the HD. SFN now installed (at a slight angle though :() so all good.

Thanks for all the help and advice :)