Non-pretentious cycling clubs in Newcastle Area ?

Leesykoi
Leesykoi Posts: 338
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Can anyone suggest any ? (sure there are some this wasn't a trick question !!)

I'm a newbie to road cycling (started last year) and as i live in the North Gosforth area of Newcastle usually head off Ponteland way and up into Northumberland on my own most weekends. Usual ride length anywhere between 15 - 80miles.

Recently back from doing L2P in 3days and met a great bunch of lads (hello if you're reading this chaps) and would like to join a club to learn more of the etiquette, technnique and generally progress my cycling. The L2P was an awesome trip that really stretched my at present limited ability.

At the moment not looking to compete merely improve my cycling as it's a sport i've taken to very quickly and enjoy greatly.

Looking forward to any recommendations and thanks in advance !!
I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!

Comments

• tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    not from newcastle personally but can say i've heard good things about the sunderland clarion for sure, might be worth a try, i'm sure there will be ones close to home just i won't know about them!
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    You're from Gosforth???

Have you tried: http://www.gosforthroadclub.com/?

Sat/Sun 9am start (I think) at Regents Centre Metro. Recommended.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • Leesykoi
    I'm from the North Gosforth/Wideopen area so the Gosforth Road Club sounds local.

Love to hear from any members/ex-members for feedback ?

Also does anyone have any comments to make about Tyneside Vagabonds who meet at Anna's Cafe in Ponteland or Cramlington Road Club ??
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Is bike snobbery rife in the north east?
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Leesykoi wrote:

Also does anyone have any comments to make about Tyneside Vagabonds who meet at Anna's Cafe in Ponteland

From what I understand from my son who lives in Newcastle, the Vagabonds are the type of club that may suit you, initially with regard to joining to ride on club runs.
  • pomtarr

I'd say the opposite was true.
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    pomtarr wrote:

I'd say the opposite was true.

I would have thought a bit more down to earth as well... however
    OP did use the word
    pretenshous
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Leesykoi
    I did not want to suggest bike snobbery in the NE (pretty sure all are down to earth really) but i'm pretty new to the road scene and have heard of elitist clubs in other parts of the country and wanted to get in touch with a local club that encourages new cyclists and does not look down their noses at them....
  • pomtarr
    Best thing to do is to go along on a few club runs and get chatting to people. Try both clubs and join the one you prefer. Enjoy!
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    No personal experience myself, but I know someone on another forum rides with Tyneside Vagabonds and has a lot of good things to say about them. She was a beginner to club riding when she started and they made her feel very welcome.
  • Leesykoi
    hugo15 wrote:
    No personal experience myself, but I know someone on another forum rides with Tyneside Vagabonds and has a lot of good things to say about them. She was a beginner to club riding when she started and they made her feel very welcome.

Thks, that sounds like the sort of positive endorsement i was looking for.