Lanterne Rouge

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Yipee! It's that time of the year again. Another Tour de France, another Lanterne Rouge bravely battling to take the prestigious prize on the Champs d'Elysee.

Wim Vansevenant has retired to his farm, and there has sadly been no word on him being tempted out of retirement by Lotto.

So, who will win it this year? Last year, there was a noble contender in the delectable shape of Kenny van Hummel, who unfortunately crashed before the final, letting Belarussian champion Yauheni Hutarovich of FdJ win. M. Prudhomme should hang his head in shame that Skil-Shimano were not allowed to race this year. Especially considering that Footon are alleged to be pedalling their way around the course. But let's not get into a Pro-Tour debate.

This thread is solely for intelligent debate, comment and education on the Lanterne Rouge.

Comments

• Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Dear young Robbie McEwan maybe ?
  • Tusher
    Wellll, he's certainly a sprinter like Kenny was, and Katusha do need the glory. But he may be a tad fast up those high mountains. A true Lanterne tends to be dropped from the autobus.

Unless they're practised, of course, in which case they loose the time some other way.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    My completely made up bookies odds:

Francesco Gavazzi 6/5 fav
    Fabio Felline 5/1
    Grega Bole 5/1
    Stijn Vandenbergh 12/1
    Roger Kluge 14/1
    Jeremy Hunt 20/1
    Wesley Sulzberger 20/1
    Luke Roberts 25/1
    Sebastien Minard 33/1
    Pavel Brutt 33/1
    Mirco Lorenzetto 50/1
  • Tusher
    Away to google...................
  • afx237vi
    Please don't bet your life savings on my predictions. I just picked a bunch of non-climbing sprintery types and youngsters off the start list and put them in no particular order :wink:

Oh, and Vandenbergh, cos he's like 7 feet tall, and I'm not sure that will help on the Tourmalet.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Andreas Klier came second last last year so maybe he will have learnt from the experience and be looking to take the prize this year?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    afx237vi wrote:

Gavazzi? Are you sure? He's a half decent climber.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Good point- it usually takes a good Lanterne a few years to come into form.

Dear Mr afx, as you are the source of all cycling knowledge, has the benjamin of the Tour ever won the Lanterne?

Now, only if you've got that information on the tip of your fingertips, please don't go searching t'interweb.
  • afx237vi
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Gavazzi? Are you sure? He's a half decent climber.

Hang on, I must be thinking of the other Gavazzi who can sprint a bit. The one that rode for Colnago until he got busted for coke. My mistake :oops:

Tusher, that is a good question. I have no idea, but it's still a good question 8)
  • Tusher
    If I've got the time tomorrow, I'll try and do some research.

Although I suspect that the benjamins will tend to abandon before they reach Paris.

But I will try and hunt out some info.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Tusher wrote:

Dear Mr afx, as you are the source of all cycling knowledge, has the benjamin of the Tour ever won the Lanterne?

Now, only if you've got that information on the tip of your fingertips, please don't go searching t'interweb.

Benjamin? What does that mean? :oops:
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2010
    Tusher wrote:

Benjamin? What does that mean? :oops:

The youngest rider in the Tour (named after Jacob's youngest and most doted on son in the Bible, I believe).

As to Tusher's question, Geraint Thomas got very close in 2007 (2nd last)
  • Tusher
    The benjamin is the youngest rider in the Tour.
  • Tusher
    And the competition is off to a spectacular and bloody start. And more publicity for the first Lanterne than is normal.

The 443 year old Baroque composer and organist, Portuguese Manuel Cardoso of Footon-Servetto, is leading by a massive 6'20" after his ghastly crash.

In second place is BMC's Mathias Frank, although he is unlikely to be on the start-line tomorrow with a broken thumb. To be honest, I can't see Manuel on a start-time for some time either.

Which leaves Mathieu Perget of Caisse d'Epargne at 1'42".
  • afx237vi
    Poor Cardoso didn't last long as the lanterne rouge. A broken jaw and 20 stitches in the head were enough for him to call it a day. Matthias Frank didn't start this morning either.

That means Dmitriy Muravyev is the new lanterne. He lost 4'06" today, although I'm not sure what happened, because he avoided all the crashes. He's 5'40" down on GC now, 33" ahead of Basque breakaway superstar Alan Perez.

Cumulonimbus' shout of Andreas Klier is looking good already. Last year's runner-up is already positioning himself nicely, one spot behind Perez, and ready to make a move later on in the race.
  • Cumulonimbus
    edited July 2010
    afx237vi wrote:

Cumulonimbus' shout of Andreas Klier is looking good already. Last year's runner-up is already positioning himself nicely, one spot behind Perez, and ready to make a move later on in the race.

Maybe, but he's not giving much away about his tactics iin his reaction yesterday (its, er, the last one), all this working for the team leader, etc. Unless by avoiding splits he means avoiding the front half.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/reactio ... e-prologue

Playing his cards close to his chest
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Cav's ego. Too big to fit on a bike so it'll cross the line in a wheelbarrow.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,755
    afx237vi wrote:
    Poor Cardoso didn't last long as the lanterne rouge. A broken jaw and 20 stitches in the head were enough for him to call it a day. Matthias Frank didn't start this morning either.

That means Dmitriy Muravyev is the new lanterne. He lost 4'06" today, although I'm not sure what happened, because he avoided all the crashes. He's 5'40" down on GC now, 33" ahead of Basque breakaway superstar Alan Perez.

Ah! That is a classic Bruyneel technique from his Astana days. Keep the Kazakh 'umble, innit :wink:
  • RichN95.
    I think Andreas Klier may come a cropper on the cobbles. The man's won Wevelgem and been second in the Ronde. This isn't the kind of pedigree that fills me with confidence. He could lose twenty odd minutes to some of his rivals, particularly if he has to work for Hushovd.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Cav's ego. Too big to fit on a bike so it'll cross the line in a wheelbarrow.

I was also going to suggest Cav as a tasyy outsider for it.
  • Tusher
    Anyone who suggests on this thread that Mark Cavendish is anything other than utterly fabulous, wonderful and the best sprinter ever will be banished to the coal shed with a slice of stale bread and a bidon of brackish water for three weeks.

Cav will not win the Lanterne. If he does, I shall eat cat food for a day. Neeooww, to business...........

Stage 2- a difficult day, as so many of the GC contenders sprang into action and went on a 'go-slow'. This is close to mutinous. Do sprinters overtake climbers on the mountains? Do climbers clutter up a bunch sprint?

I think not.

These riders were simply trying to muscle in on the LR competition this year. But they won't last the pace.

So, today we have Andres Klier of Cervelo on 22' 33" with Matti Breschel of Saxo Bank and Anthony Geslin of FdJ tied on 19' 26". Breschel's effort consisted of giving away his bike (to one Andy Schleck, I believe) leaving himself bikeless for a spell. This is the sort of Lanterne tactic that we should applaud.
  • Cumulonimbus
    New leader is Chris Sorensen after a few days of losing lots of time (hard work early in the stage?). He can climb though so i cant see him staying there once the race hits the mountains.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I suppose it would be wrong to pick His Twitness would it? :D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Tusher
    Not in the slightest.
    In fact, it could just be prudent to choose him, because he has yet to go out in spectacular fashion. Which he will do as soon as he realizes he's not going to win. But instead of retiring, he'll labour on, with both legs in plaster, proving he's a genuine hero.
  • Tusher
    Stage 4- a disaster for Andreas Klier. 9 places and around 9 minutes behind the new leader, Grega Bole of Lampre. I have great difficulty in not reading his name as Greta Boyle tbh.

The Sorensen twins, Chris and Nicki are 2nd and 7th- their parents must be so proud this evening. I wouldn't put it beyond Bjaerne to plot to bookend the Tour in an attempt to secure a sponsor for next year.

There are a couple of Euskies in the mix and our very own Charly Wegelius, but overall, everything still to play for.
  • Tusher
    Stage 5- Greta's still leading, but keep a close eye on Klier, who's beginning to creep up behind him.
  • Tusher
    The first shall be last and the last shall be first.

And thus Jesus has taken up the lead this evening. Astana's Jesus Hernandez Blazquez, who has gained four places from yesterday.
  • RichN95.
    Tusher wrote:
    The first shall be last and the last shall be first.

And thus Jesus has taken up the lead this evening. Astana's Jesus Hernandez Blazquez, who has gained four places from yesterday.

Give him three days and he'll be on the rise again.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    RichN95 wrote:
    Give him three days and he'll be on the rise again.

You get an A* for that one kid
  • Tusher
    And Astana's Jesus remains in the lead going into the sabbath day. A day of rest and quiet reflection.

(Except in Tusher Towers, of course although I'm hoping to find a tranquil few hours in front of the TV in the evening. If it works, that is. Although I am learning to love the radio coverage. )

Let's see who has a quiet day in the peloton tomorrow and who makes waves in the LR competition. The high mountains can be a tricky act for the serious contenders- who can loose enough time without being time excluded?