Sportive dilemma

squigs
squigs Posts: 149
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Hi,
as a chef I find it very difficult to try and get the time off during the busy season to attend arranged sportives. Please bear in mind this is my first year of cycling seriously.

So using bike route toaster and uploading to my Garmin edge 705 I am doing my own routes of around 75 miles then eventually up to 110. My dilemma is that i live in Cornwall and it is very difficult to do a route that doesnt include lots of climbing straight away and for a longish amount of time.

Are sportive routes designed with a specific criteria to even out the hills and flats etc?

Ps London to Brighton felt like 20 miles with the training I did in Cornwall so there is an added benefit, Ditchling was a doddle.
Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anywhere would feel like a doddle after riding in Cornwall!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,267
    Sportive routes are generally arranged to go up every hill they can possibly find so your riding in Cornwall is probably perfect!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    British Cycling's requirements for a sportive organiser is that they include a hill early in the route, so as to break-up large groups who may set-off together - the reasoning being that a broken-up lot of one's & two's individual cyclists is less of a hazard on the road than a big posse of 50 tanking along at high speed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,267
    andy_wrx wrote:
    British Cycling's requirements for a sportive organiser is that they include a hill early in the route, so as to break-up large groups who may set-off together - the reasoning being that a broken-up lot of one's & two's individual cyclists is less of a hazard on the road than a big posse of 50 tanking along at high speed.

Never knew that - I thought they did it because they were a bunch of sadists! :lol:
  • Paul32uk
    Paul32uk Posts: 80
    Most of the sportive routes I have looked at start and finish at the same location. So when you say evened out I assume you mean as much decent as ascent? As the route is a complete loop this is the case and you will decend as much as you ascend.

exercise.png
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Just be grateful that you'll develop stonkingly-good climbing skills and will be able to inflict suffering on others - I love riding in Cornwall, but anything longer than about 3 hours starts getting pretty painful.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    being a chef myself, what i do is try plan say a week in advance what im going to do:P try riding from work the longer route( if ur in riding distance) i work about 4miles from my home so i always make my journey an extra 2-3miles than what i could do if i where to go straight there:) p.s...whats it like for catering in cornwall, always wanted to work up there
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    masterchef wrote:
    being a chef myself, what i do is try plan say a week in advance what im going to do:P try riding from work the longer route( if ur in riding distance) i work about 4miles from my home so i always make my journey an extra 2-3miles than what i could do if i where to go straight there:) p.s...whats it like for catering in cornwall, always wanted to work up there

I normally try to make the trip longer depending on how shafted I am going to get that day, at the moment hours tend to be around 12-14 with 6 days a possibilty, hence the difficulty in planning that far ahead.

Catering is fantastic down here, I live 6 miles from the moors, 6 miles from the beach and 6 miles from the city so cycling is a great option with lots of different routes available.
    Hopeing to do Plymouth to Roscoff before the end of the summer.
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    squigs wrote:
    masterchef wrote:

I normally try to make the trip longer depending on how shafted I am going to get that day, at the moment hours tend to be around 12-14 with 6 days a possibilty, hence the difficulty in planning that far ahead.

Catering is fantastic down here, I live 6 miles from the moors, 6 miles from the beach and 6 miles from the city so cycling is a great option with lots of different routes available.
    Hopeing to do Plymouth to Roscoff before the end of the summer.

On one of these?

sm_waikiki_water_bike02.jpg
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My dilemma is that i live in Cornwall and it is very difficult to do a route that doesnt include lots of climbing straight away and for a longish amount of time.

I live in the Cairngorms and that's the main reason I've yet to complete my first century. Some of the hills really knacker you out.

One of the local sportive / century runs starts and finishes at the top car park on Cairngorm mountain, taking in quite a few big hills along the way. The idea of cycling 100 miles then climbing Cairngorm is daunting.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!